HEN acts like she cant walk, help!!

FeatherSwift93

Songster
Apr 22, 2022
Mississippi
My 2 year old rhode island red hen has been sick for about a week at this point. She can hardly walk and her tail is constantly drooped down. She is still eating and drinking, she just acts like she can hardly move. I took her to my local vet and they said they don't treat chickens. Please help! What could be wrong with her??

I would separate her from the rest of the flock if you haven't already so you can better monitor her. Have you felt her abdomen for any swelling (like a water balloon)? What do her droppings look like?

How many chickens do you have?
How long ago/recent was the last time you brought a new bird home?

What exactly have you feeding?

Can you go take a video of this sick chicken right now and upload it to YouTube?

How many chickens do you have?
How long ago/recent was the last time you brought a new bird home?

What exactly have you feeding?

Can you go take a video of this sick chicken right now and upload it to YouTube?
I have 4 hens and a rooster in her coop that she is in. She hasn't been in contact with my younger chickens. Idk the name of feed, but I get it at my local feed store, layer feed that she has been on for 2 years.

Can you insert a clean or gloved finger into her vent 2 inches to feel for a stuck egg? How long ago did she lay an egg? Is her crop empty, full, hard or puffy? Does she have any enlargement or fullness in her lower belly between her legs? Is she drinking and eating?

Back
Top Bottom