Hen and chicks roosting

Jul 22, 2021
The chicks are just over 2 weeks old and their momma has taken them up to roost with the rest of the chickens for at least 4-5 days now but I'm not sure when they first started roosting cause I didn't check on them for a few nights. My only concern is if they fall down they can't get back up in the dark and I'm not sure if the night temperature is too low? Last night I had a hard time sleeping and kept going to check on them and 2 chicks had fallen and just slept on the floor alone so I put them back up with mom. I checked the forecast and the night temp for the next 10 days is between 76°-80° F and it stays warmer in the coop, Idk the exact temp in there at night so I estimate it's 5°-10° warmer, I've just hung a thermometer in there so I can see exact temps. Also when their momma was nesting on the floor with them, I rarely ever saw them huddle under her and chicks would be sprawled on the floor around her until just before sunrise when the temp would dip for 30 min or so. This is my first time having a hen raise chicks so idk if I'm just worrying for nothing. When the second chick fell down last night, the rooster jumped down with it so I didn't bother putting it back up cause he's always taking care of them.

Back
Top Bottom