Hen attacked Chick! HELP!

TennesseeChicken

Songster
12 Years
Mar 26, 2011
Ethridge, TN
Three little chicks were outside of the coop with the Mom when another hen attacked the chick. I think the chick has a broken leg. What should I do? I'm going to separate tonight! Her leg seems broken at the joint next to the body and there is a little blood. :(

Last edited:
Well, I have the chick in a small box right now with some ground up hard boiled egg, kale (from the garden, chemical free) and water and moved the two other chicks and Moms from gen-pop to our 'chick shed'. These two Moms were sharing a nest at night with their three chicks. The hen and two month old chicks we had in our chick shed were moved to gen-pop. Seemed like that Mom was ready to let go!!! She hopped back up into the nest she was used to at night. (Yes...she slept in a nest at night...I know, I know--it's cleaned regularly btw)

The injured chick was eating and drinking, but am wondering how to set her leg so she can heal. She (I hope!) is about 12 days old. Did not call the vet as it is a holiday weekend.

I do have a few other broodies with no eggs under them, so I'm hoping some 'adoption' will be going on in regards to these four two month old chicks. I've seen it happen before with at least two young'uns that were introduced early!

I have never seen other hens go after baby chicks like this before. (I have been doing this for three years) You'd think they were going after a mouse or something! These baby chicks are black, so...maybe they did think that. IDK. Very stressful afternoon after a Farmer's Market morning! Sure would be easier if the hens went broody at the same time!!! LOL

Any advice would surely be appreciated!!

I set a leg years ago on a duck. It was full size and it worked,If this is a small chick Id use some gause, and bandaid to surround the leg. Then put something that hardens like nail polish. Like a miniture cast.Im saying it Could work. But theres never a sure thing. I did save a duck this way.I even saved a chick once that fell into a mudpuddle. I did mouth to mouth on it, and held it upside down to let the water out. I SAVED it. And he became one of my favs. It was like he knew I had saved him. I had him for many years. Ive also warmed chicks next to my body in a bra, when I thought they were close to death. It saved them as well. You can ALWAYS try. Good luck on your baby. keep it warm, and give it special good foods. And a little sugar water wouldnt hurt either. Be sure to steralize the leg before wrapping it.

Thanks for the advice!! After further examination it seems like she has a broken foot. Not sure what to use...maybe a piece of cardboard...to put under her foot and wrap gauze around it. Thanks again!

Well, I ended up taking the chick to the vet today and he said that there was a bad break in the leg, next to the body, infection is or could set in and even if it did heal, it would not heal well. So, we had to euthanize the poor chick. He said it was the humane way to go. Poor little one. I hate this aspect of growing chickens!!! And if I could identify that hen that attacked, she would be in a crock-pot by now!!

i have eight that are five weeks old.mama hen last week turned on all her chicks.she had started laying and she was done being a mom.i seen her peck them several times.and it was not a lite peck.she was down right vicious.i separated her from them last week.i was so afraid that she would peck them to death.it broke my heart to see them run to her and look at her with so much trust and she would peck them so hard.i have told myself i will not be raising anymore chicks.it is way to stressful.i have been letting them out to free range with all the flock.i have to watch them at all times.i have seen some of the other hens peck them and they have no mom to defend them.I have become their mom.

Well, that does sound awful. Breaks the heart to see chicks like that. Haven't had that experience, yet. So far my four oldest chicks are doing well in gen-pop, even venturing outside the fence! Mom hasn't cut them loose, yet! The two younger ones are doing well with their two moms, too. I'm very lucky I have another place to keep them (our 'chick shed'). Only thing I have to worry about there are snakes, but they usually get tangled up in the deer fence we hung on the fence. Then we cut them out and relocate.

Back
Top Bottom