hen brooding on ceramic egg - should I kick her off the nest?

Eudy

In the Brooder
Aug 15, 2022
My turkey hen got really broody the last couple of days. She only turns out about two or three eggs a week but she’ll sit on the empty nest and wait for the next one to come out.

I gave her a ceramic egg to make her happy and she’s been very protective of it - this is promising to me because I’ve ordered more poults by post (she’s the only Turkey left after our neighbor’s dog tore through 😞). BUT she’s jumped the gun a bit - the poults won’t be here for another six weeks, and I’m worried if she sits there on her ceramic egg for a month and a half she might starve.

Should I kick her off the nest and not encourage the brooding? I thought it would be a convenient transition to taking care of the new poults…

If you don’t have a male, there’s no real point for her to be broody. Unless she’ll help new chicks.

If you don’t have a male, there’s no real point for her to be broody. Unless she’ll help new chicks.
There’s definitely no male turkey around, though she has a special friendship with our male Guinea fowl 😅

I hadn’t bought the babies expecting her to be motherly - I was planning to raise them in a brooder and introduce them to her gradually after a month or two. But this unexpected broodiness has me wondering if she might raise them herself.

Well, if you’re worried about her becoming unhealthy, it might be best to break the broodiness. Broodies *can* take care of themselves, but it does take a toll on their bodies. Hope that helps!

Back
Top Bottom