Hen chick crowing??

Birdybathtime

Chirping
Jan 31, 2022
Ok so I have 3 chicks who are all supposed to be hens, they are 14 weeks old so a lil over 3 months. And one is trying to crow. She only did it like twice this morning and has showed no other sign of being a roo (longer feathers, small spurs, larger crown, larger size, etc) it’s a bantam Cochin so that might be why but even cochin roos have longer feathers and distinct differences yet she looks exactly like my other Cochin chick. Do female chicks this young try to crow? Cause I know hens will sometimes crow but I didn’t think this young. Idk but I just want some advice on chick behavior on this I guess. Thx for the help!
Mottled is the crower, black is the other Cochin
B22AC41C-824F-41CA-BB0C-677AE79F45D8.jpeg

Attachments

• E9651547-E0B1-4604-8D5E-0E6786C1A839.jpeg
    E9651547-E0B1-4604-8D5E-0E6786C1A839.jpeg
    456.3 KB · Views: 26
You probably have a rooster and whoever sold it was confused because of how small his comb/waddles are right now. It's possible for hens to crow though, just rare. Seems even rarer at that age too, most crowing hens I've seen were adult hens and not chicks.
I got all of them as day old chicks so all of them were sexed before I got them, that’s the main reason why I’m so confused lol

Some more pictures of the chicken in question, the tail feathers seem to give it away, I’m just gonna hope that I’m lucky and that it’s still a pullet, but that would be a lot of luck. Hopefully it’s the only one out of the three of them, gonna go look at rooster collars I guess lol
And the funniest thing is, is that this chick is probably the nicest and most attention seeking out of the three lol

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    491 KB · Views: 20
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    471.7 KB · Views: 17
Some more pictures of the chicken in question, the tail feathers seem to give it away, I’m just gonna hope that I’m lucky and that it’s still a pullet, but that would be a lot of luck. Hopefully it’s the only one out of the three of them, gonna go look at rooster collars I guess lol
And the funniest thing is, is that this chick is probably the nicest and most attention seeking out of the three lol
Still looks like a pullet there, I don't see any male specific feathering, which should've came in by now.
I suggest not using rooster collars, it can kill them.

Still looks like a pullet there, I don't see any male specific feathering, which should've came in by now.
I suggest not using rooster collars, it can kill them.
I’ve had luck with rooster collars in the past, never put them on too tight and made sure it couldn’t get caught on anything, and my last roo had long enough feathers that it was covered up to where it couldn’t get caught on anything. But if this lil one is a roo I’ll probably check out more options! Thx!

Back
Top Bottom