Hen drinking a lot of water?

Mar 29, 2022
I don't know if this is a problem, but every time I'm out reading with the chickens and look over at the waterer, this one hen (named June) is always there drinking. She drinks a lot more than the other chickens, and I give them plenty of water and a lot is still leftover the next day in their water tub. I'm hoping there is not something wrong with her. I noticed when they go back into the coop after free ranging, they all drink some water but when they're done, June is still drinking. I also soak their feed in water daily and don't give them any salty treats. Could June have some type of health issue?
She is very young (6 months old)

I would check her crop first thing in the morning before everyone is off the roost to see if it is flat and empty. She may be trying to flush something through.
Its empty, but the water drinking issue has happened since I've gotten her 2 months ago. It seems to have gotten worse these past 2 weeks. Also, even though she eats tons of food and has a free choice feeder, she is having some liquid poops.

My young rooster also drinks excessive amounts of water since he was born.
He has an automated water system; access always to fresh clean water.

He's alone in his cage, nobody bothers him.

The other 3 weeks younger hens in a separate box are very " clean " their sand is always dry/nice; the rooster's sand is terrible; doesn't hold a day; replacing every day.

My young rooster also drinks excessive amounts of water since he was born.
He has an automated water system; access always to fresh clean water.

He's alone in his cage, nobody bothers him.

The other 3 weeks younger hens in a separate box are very " clean " their sand is always dry/nice; the rooster's sand is terrible; doesn't hold a day; replacing every day.

Attachments

• IMG_0346.jpeg
    IMG_0346.jpeg
    548.7 KB · Views: 4
He might be stressed and/or suffering from coccidiosis.
Treating him with Corid/Amprolium could help.

Is he being kept in this cage all the time or does he have access to an outside run and natural daylight/sun?

He might be stressed and/or suffering from coccidiosis.
Treating him with Corid/Amprolium could help.

Is he being kept in this cage all the time or does he have access to an outside run and natural daylight/sun?
Thank you very much; I don't know where to find these here in Japan.

Yes, he has full sun access every ( sunny) day. And there's an outdoor run space with a lot of abundant green vegetation, partially covered with leaves/branchess as a protection against too strong sun.
There he have fellowship with the two hens, until I return them inside to their places when I can't be near them/have to go somewhere.
Also regularly I take him on my arms, when I'm just sitting with him and having together a Power Nap.
In different times I do this with the hens too.
They eat the same ( great quality chicken food; best in Japan) drink clean filtered non chlorine water.
He's chirping silently always as satisfied.
So sweet.
I'm wondering when can I start to try put on a neck collar what in the future will silence his crowing; trying to keep him as long as possible.

Back
Top Bottom