Hen Egg Eater

ChickChic00

Songster
Sep 10, 2019
So I have a rir rooster and a isa brown hen and australorp hen in a pen together, and apparently the isa brown has been destroying the australorps eggs, but not her own. I don't think she is really eating them. I think she is just breaking them open. I didn't know if she just doesnt want the australorps eggs in there or if she is being territorial. They have been raised together from chicks except for the rir rooster. I am trying to collect eggs for hatching. I have hatched 7 eggs from them already. 5 where from the isa brown and just 2 from the australorp.

How big is the pen? What are you feeding? Egg eating can be from boredom or a dietary deficiency. How are your nestboxes set up?

Eggs are pretty hard. You could drop one and it wouldn't break open. It might crack but not break open.my hens dont use a nesting box at all. Pen is big. 10ft by 10ft. Its 100sqft.
Post pic of a 'destroyed egg'?
Have you seen the isa destroy an egg?
Is pen totally predator proof?
Wonders why they are not using the nest?
Pics of pen and nests please?
Might help us help you figure out what's going on.

Post pic of a 'destroyed egg'?
Have you seen the isa destroy an egg?
Is pen totally predator proof?
Wonders why they are not using the nest?
Pics of pen and nests please?
Might help us help you figure out what's going on.
She was scratching on the ground and found the australorps egg on the ground and went straight for the egg and started to try and break it open. Her own egg was right beside that one. But she didn't touch her own egg. They just never liked to lay in the nesting boxes.

She was scratching on the ground and found the australorps egg on the ground and went straight for the egg and started to try and break it open. Her own egg was right beside that one. But she didn't touch her own egg. They just never liked to lay in the nesting boxes.
Eggs on the ground will often be eaten. Once they develop the habit it can be near impossible to break. Nestboxes that are elevated off the ground will keep passing birds from seeing them. Put fake eggs in your boxes to lure them in. Dimensions can be important. 12 square is the usual size for boxes.

Eggs on the ground will often be eaten. Once they develop the habit it can be near impossible to break. Nestboxes that are elevated off the ground will keep passing birds from seeing them. Put fake eggs in your boxes to lure them in. Dimensions can be important. 12 square is the usual size for boxes.
They do not use the nesting boxes. They do not nest in any box. They prefer the ground. I have put fake eggs.

Back
Top Bottom