Hen falling over

mommaford09

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jul 3, 2014
This morning I discovered one of my hens sleeping under the roost. She is lethargic and acting like she can't stand up. when she does she falls over or limps a few steps and then falls over. Yesterday she was fine. I watched her free range and there was no problems. Any ideas on what could be wrong or how to treat. I have her isolated now and am giving her some water with electrolytes in it. I did notice where she was sleeping was full of watery poop and when she stood up some more came out. She is almost a year old and is a New hampshire red if that is of importance. Thanks

The first year of life is that time where birds are most susceptible to common diseases like coccidiosis, intestinal worms, and bacterial infections. If preventative methods are not practiced, weakness and anemia set in, the intestinal tract is damaged, and eventually the liver and kidneys. Keeping an eye out for underweight birds, that become exceedingly hungry, or begin to eat less, drink excessive amounts of water are an early sign. Watery droppings, maybe bright green to yellow, or foamy diarrhea can become common.

It is a crap shoot without a fecal exam, but what I do is treat for coccidiosis for 5-7 days with Amprolium (Corid, Ampromed) , deworm with Albendazole or Fenbendazole (Valbazen, Safe-guard liquid suspension), or treat for bacterial infections with Lincomycin-spectinomycin powder or Neomycin powder in waterers according to label instructions as a flock treatment. Fish Flex (cephalexin 250 mg) or Fish Mox (Amoxicillin 250 mg) can be used for individual treatment, and dosage is dependent on the size of your bird. Generally if you don't see improvement after 2-3 days of any of the above treatments, you have to change treatment.

Preventative dosages of Amprolium in drinkers once a month, regular use of poultry vitamin-electrolyte powder in water 2-3 days a week, probiotic dispersible powder in water once a week, and worming at 4-5 months of age can help prevent these problems from occuring. Good ventilation in the coop, dry litter, not allowing droppings to build up, and keeping water receptacles and troughs clean are important too. I hope you can get your hen back on track to good health.

She sounds like she is very dehydrated and weak. It's hard to know the cause, whether it could be her being kept from food and water, worms, coccidiosis, or a blockage of her crop or gizzard. The electrolytes are good, and I would offer her some scrambled egg, and bread crumbs soaked in buttermilk, as well as her normal feed might coax her to eat. Pouring some electrolytes over a small amount of feed would get more fluids into her. Have you wormed her recently? would look her over for evidence of lice and mites, and after she gets fluids into her her, then worm her with Valbazen or SafeGuard Liquid Goat Wormer. If you suspect coccidiosis, then Corid (amprollium) is the best treatment.

Well her crop feels full and hard. And she is panting. She is not eating or drinking anything unless I put her beak in it. She is standing now but looks like she is going to fall asleep. I worm them every month with an all natural wormer. I tried making her vomit but nothing happen just tired her out.

Did you find her in the morning with the full crop? If so it sounds like maybe she has an impacted crop. If that is the case search for impacted crop on this site and there will be more information on how to help her.

Well her crop feels full and hard. And she is panting. She is not eating or drinking anything unless I put her beak in it. She is standing now but looks like she is going to fall asleep. I worm them every month with an all natural wormer. I tried making her vomit but nothing happen just tired her out.
It would be best to withhold feed for 24 hours. Meanwhile keep poultry vitamins-electrolytes in the birds water. make sure the bird is drinking. After 24 hours, see if the crop has decreased in size and let us know. Only very soft foods should be given if the crop has emptied. Buttermilk soaked bread, moistened layer feed. Just avoid any hard or fibrous foods.

So called "natural" dewormers that claim to prevent or remove intestinal worms are a ruse. A ruse only designed to dupe people into buying the product. Benzamidazole anthelmintic dewormers or an aminoglycoside like Hygromycin are the only solutions for the treatment of intestinal worms. Young birds are always more susceptible to endoparasites than older birds. A good diet keeps the immune system strong, clean feeders, reduction of moisture, keeping brush and pasture grass trimmed down keeps the vectors away.

Last edited:

Okay so I now have 2 hens that are acting funny. As soon as I noticed that I started searching the yard and this is what I found. My daughter had brought home a beautiful plant for her flower garden and the leaves are half eaten. We have since moved it to another area in the yard away from our chickens. And I do remember her saying she had to chase 2 of them out of her garden but didn't put much thought into it. They are both drinking now but still just really sleepy. One has continued to lay her eggs where ever she is sitting at the time and one has stopped completely. I have electrolyte water and water with ACV in the cage with them. Should I be doing anything else?

Okay so I now have 2 hens that are acting funny. As soon as I noticed that I started searching the yard and this is what I found. My daughter had brought home a beautiful plant for her flower garden and the leaves are half eaten. We have since moved it to another area in the yard away from our chickens. And I do remember her saying she had to chase 2 of them out of her garden but didn't put much thought into it. They are both drinking now but still just really sleepy. One has continued to lay her eggs where ever she is sitting at the time and one has stopped completely. I have electrolyte water and water with ACV in the cage with them. Should I be doing anything else?

That looks like Foxglove to me, and if I'm correct, it is toxic when ingested: http://www.poultryhelp.com/toxic1.html

Here is another list of plant toxicity:
http://www.merckmanuals.com/vet/tox.../range_plants_of_temperate_north_america.html

Yes that is what I found it to be called after MANY internet searches. Needless to say I have 2 different list printed out of poisonous plants and this will not happen again. I feel terrible though.

Back
Top Bottom