Hen found alive laying on back, half of body not working!!!

@serhenity Welcome To BYC

I'm sorry about your hen.

You have received good advice about caring for her.

Ime, she is injured. Very likely beat up by another hen but perhaps attacked by a predator. But again, Ime, the pattern of injury about the beak, eyes and head is consistent with being attacked, pecked and kicked by another bird.

Look like she has some beak injury, multiple abrasions about the head and facial tissue, scabs, blood clots and some green bruising. She also has some debris stuck to her face, but this can be taken care of when you use some saline and clean the face, open the eye and generously flush it out with saline as well. The foam in the eye, in this case is consistent with trauma, a poke to the eye and very likely getting debris in the eye. Once you flush the eye really well, apply Terramycin eye ointment IN the eye and surrounding tissue. If you can't get Terramycin eye ointment, then you can use Original Neosporin.

Inspect her beak closely, I'm having a hard time telling if it's cracked or not, do open the beak and if she's got any debris or dried blood inside, wipe it out with a moistened cloth or Qtips.

Work on hydration, sugar water or electrolytes for the first day or two. Start getting vitamins into her asap. Vitamin E (400IU) and 1/4-1/2 tablet B-Complex daily. Give her bits of soft cooked mashed up egg or some canned fish to help with the uptake of E.
Offer wet soupy feed.

She's suffered trauma to the head which can cause affect neurological and leg function, and you don't know for how long she's been injured or wasn't getting water/food since you were away.

View attachment 3671278Took her to the vet and she had no broken bones or anything. Got antibiotics for her eye, it’s much better & was given 3 oral meds as well. Apparently she was droopy bc of a bacterial disease? But she still won’t eat anything :(

View attachment 3671156I came back from a 4 day long trip and found one of my hens laying on her back with a swollen leaky eye and limp body! She was acting perfectly normal on the day that I left, she’s one of my sweetest girls. I asked my friend left in charge of the girls if he saw anything and he mentioned she had a droopy wing but was getting better. I assumed it was injury but this is so heartbreaking…. my country does not really have exotic vets so i will be taking her to a regular vet tomorrow. I’m really worried and need suggestions on to what this might be and how to treat her :(
She’s a lot better after the vet, x-rays came back normal but she refuses to eat anything. I don’t know what to do… she’s taking antibiotics so i feel like it’d be good if she had a full stomach 😞

You could try tube feeding her, but first I would mix some chicken feed with water to make a mash. Hold it up to her beak to eat. Scrambled GP egg bits can be good to offer.

Back
Top Bottom