Hen going blind?

JudyMcKinn

Songster
13 Years
Jan 24, 2007
SW MO
I have a hen about 2 years old, who started staying to herself. Hubby has been having health problems, too, so I didn't get on it as soon as I should, but she seems to be pretty well blind. When I started really paying attention to her about a week ago, she seemed to be having trouble seeing, and this has progressed to the point that today I put her by herself in a small coop (2' X 6' rabbit type hutch) with a pan of water and a pan of feed, so she could get at it easily. I think she had been sitting around not eating or drinking, as if she got close to some of the hens, they were driving her away, and not being able to see, she really had a problem.
Anyone have any idea what would cause this? I looked at some eye worm posts, but her eyes don't seem inflamed, or watery,-they look fine, except you can tell she isn't focusing--can't see out of them. Any suggestions?

I have a hen who's been losing the sight in her "good eye" since May. I got her last year from a friend's free range flock at 1 to 1 1/2 years old and she was blind in one eye - opaque. No problem since her good eye vision was very sharp. Have no idea what's wrong - no gunk, no respiratory problems - I keep reading disease lists and nothing quite matches. She did have roundworms but gave her wormer - and can't figure out why worms would affect vision. Had an older friendly hen that kept her company but she died in April. I've watched this hen adjust - she knows where water and feed are - and there's still some vision in eye but it takes multiple tries to actually eat anything that's on the ground.
Since I want two hens in my "flock", I'm going to be getting a pullet soon. I'm hoping that a young bird will accept the older hen's vision impairment and not mistreat her.
Last week the eyelid kept closing and she was scratching, so for a few days I was rinsing with sterile solution and ordered eye medication from First State Vet Supply and just starting putting drops in yesterday. She might be almost blind but she's already learned to huddle in middle of run if 2 people approach so can't be easily reached.
There's someone on this list with a blind hen that's adjusted - but has to be kept separate from main flock.
It's frustrating not knowing what caused the problem - means I can't treat properly and don't know how to prevent.

I wanted to follow up...the medicine I got from First State Vet Supply is Neomycin and Polymyxin B Sulfates and Dexamethasone Opthalmic Suspension. The directions state 1 drop 4 times first day, 3 drops 2nd day, etc. Well, I was lucky to get in 1 drop twice the first day, 1 drop the 2nd day. Today was day 3 and got in 1 drop this morning - and her vision has definitely improved! Not perfect but she could peck at lettuce, cucumber slices, and cooked spaghetti and connect at first or second try. A few days ago, it took her multiple attempts. It's medicine for eye infection - there has not been goop, no watering, periodic scratching, and last week the eyelid kept closing. Now her eye stays open and she obviously has some vision. Still have no idea what caused symptoms of blindness which means I don't know how to prevent. But if I notice problems in future, I'll be much faster about starting eye rinse and medicine. Good luck with your hen.

Back
Top Bottom