Hen got bit by dog, will she bounce back?

samantha1128

In the Brooder
8 Years
Dec 2, 2011
Gilbert Arizona
Somehow 2 of my hens got in my back yard with my dog. He attacked them. One has cuts on her back that I have treated and have her inside. Other is in worse shape. First I thought a broken leg, but there are no marks or breaks I can feel. She dies have a deep puncture on her back I have treated but her right leg looks limp. She is alert but not active or wanting to eat. How many days do I wait to see if she will heal? I dont want her to starve to death. I had a roo that was attacked by a coyote last year that was pretty beat up and after a week he made a complete turn around. Any help would be appreciated.

The deep puncture on the back would worry me. Dog bites, especially deep ones get infected very easily. With one leg limp I'd also worry about nerve damage.

The nerve could be bruised and not permanently damaged, or she could just be in pain and not wanting to move the leg.

I'd give her a painkiller (I use Meloxicam 1mg/kg once a day, (have seen others here recommend Ibuprofen 1/4 of a tablet) and antibiotics and see if she is any better in 1 or 2 days before I make any other decisions

I would also rinse out the wound really well with antiseptic solution but not use ointment in case that traps infection inside.

She needs to drink too. Electrolyte solution, drops on the beak or 1/2 a cc syringed at a time are a good idea.

Both hens are still alive and in my house. The black hen still doesn't have a lot of movement on her right side, but now she is eating and drinking and moving a bit. There looks to be no infection from the puncture, but I really don't know what to do from here.

Both hens are still alive and in my house. The black hen still doesn't have a lot of movement on her right side, but now she is eating and drinking and moving a bit. There looks to be no infection from the puncture, but I really don't know what to do from here.
Good for you! As long as there's progress you're probably doing the right thing. Encouraging her to keep moving and making sure she has no energy-sapping parasites and a good diet with extra protein (I give mealworms) will allow her the time to recover.

Good Idea! I will get her some mealworms.

They shouldn't have parasites. I put DE in their sand bathing area! I picked her up and looked her over and I didn't see any movement.

I just hope she isn't paralyzed on the right side. In hope whatever is causing the issue with heal up.

Back
Top Bottom