Hen got bit\stung above eye!

ButtonquailGirl14

Crossing the Road
Jul 13, 2017
Northport WA
Hey Flock! I was checking my birds tonight, and Juniper has a swollen eye..well, above the eye, and only on one side. I also noticed that her body temperature seemed really high. She was super hot to the touch. Is there anything I should do?

Not very sure there is much that can be done,,,,, since you are not sure what caused the bite/sting. It may subside on its own.:idunno
I would check the hens temperature with a thermometer if possible. Chickens' temps are higher than peoples'.
Here is a copy and paste.
105 to 107 degrees Fahrenheit

Normal chicken body temperature ranges from about 105 to 107 degrees Fahrenheit. Just as with humans, it can vary a little depending on time of day, wither the chicken is stressed, or whether she's eaten recently.

If you did check hens temp, and it was well above these numbers, then maybe try to cool her in some water. I know that when people have high fever, a cooling compress is applied to the forehead to comfort the person.
WISHING YOU BEST ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, with your chicken:hugs

Not very sure there is much that can be done,,,,, since you are not sure what caused the bite/sting. It may subside on its own.:idunno
I would check the hens temperature with a thermometer if possible. Chickens' temps are higher than peoples'.
Here is a copy and paste.
105 to 107 degrees Fahrenheit

Normal chicken body temperature ranges from about 105 to 107 degrees Fahrenheit. Just as with humans, it can vary a little depending on time of day, wither the chicken is stressed, or whether she's eaten recently.

If you did check hens temp, and it was well above these numbers, then maybe try to cool her in some water. I know that when people have high fever, a cooling compress is applied to the forehead to comfort the person.
WISHING YOU BEST ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, with your chicken:hugs
Thank you! Unfortunately I couldn't find our thermometer
It's possible the hen couldve been pecked real hard to cause the swelling, a pecking order thing especially at feeding time. A pic would help.
I don't believe so, because I found a bite\sting mark, and my chickens chase bees all the time:confused:
Agree with this. There are other possible causes of facial swelling. What makes you believe its a bite or sting?

Not good news! Is stead of the swelling going down, it has gotten worse! I was feeling her empty crop (I have been having to force feed her every night) and it felt full of air... I was feeling it when it released back to normal.. no bad breath at all... Do chickens normally realese (gas?) From their crops?

Not good news! Is stead of the swelling going down, it has gotten worse! I was feeling her empty crop (I have been having to force feed her every night) and it felt full of air... I was feeling it when it released back to normal.. no bad breath at all... Do chickens normally realese (gas?) From their crops?
Yes, they can release gas from their crop.

Back
Top Bottom