Hen had stroke

desertchick3

Chirping
Jun 12, 2022
Mojave Desert
My hen is in my house right now, I have been caring for her all afternoon. I set her in a cold water bath a few hours ago and put a fan by her. She is lethargic and not moving at all, not drinking, eating, or pooping at all. I'm not sure If she had a stroke. She has not moved all day. I have given her a few Grubblies and some syringes full of water and Sav-a-Chick electrolyte. Any information will be helpful and greatly appreciated.

Edit:
20220630_085436.jpg

Here's the run. The chickens will come out in the early morning and in the evening. I spray the ground with water to cool it down and I give them cool treats (melon rind, berries, leafy greens, etc.). They get electrolytes and dishes of water on the ground. They sleep in the coop on the left but spend most of their time in the shade of the coop on the right.

Last edited:
My hen is in my house right now, my sister, mother and I have been caring for her all afternoon. We set her in a cold water bath a few hours ago and put a fan by her. She is lethargic and not moving at all, not drinking, eating, or pooping at all. I'm not sure If she had a stroke. She has not moved all day. I have given her a few Grubblies and some syringes full of water and Sav-a-Chick electrolyte. Please help us, I really don't want her to die, we lost half our flock last year to the heat, any information will be helpful and greatly appreciated.
How is she doing?

I'd continue with the Sav-A-Chick Electrolytes like you are already doing.

Has she pooped at all?
Could she be having trouble laying an egg?

How old is she? What symptoms? (I am asking primarily on my own behalf, in order to learn, if you don't mind taking the time to share your experience. How would I recognize stroke in one of my chickens. Are you talking about heat stroke? Thank you.)

Update: The hen is doing so much better now! She spent last night with the rest of the flock and she is able to walk on her own. She ate some layer feed this morning, drank water on her own, and pooped. She is not drinking the electrolyte on her own so I syringed it into her.

Last edited:
How old is she? What symptoms? (I am asking primarily on my own behalf, in order to learn, if you don't mind taking the time to share your experience. How would I recognize stroke in one of my chickens. Are you talking about heat stroke? Thank you.)
She is a little less than two years old and laying. She is a Lavender Orpington. It's not severe, we caught it before anything very bad could happen, but she was lethargic and panting. Her skin was hot to the touch. A few of my chickens from last year had heatstroke, they would lay on the ground and look dead. Occasionally there would be a spastic movement. This is often the point of no return. The best thing you can do is dunk the chicken in a tub of cool water. I hope this was helpful, keep your chicks safe!

Update: The hen is doing so much better now! She spent last night with the rest of the flock and she is able to walk on her own. She ate some layer feed this morning but has not drank any water or pooped.

I think It is possible she is having trouble laying an egg. She was in the nesting box when I found her.
Is there a way to provide more deep shade for your flock?
It must be challenge keeping them fairly comfortable during the summer.

I'm glad to hear she's doing better. Hopefully she's pooped by now and she's drinking, if not, then it would be a good idea to feel for an egg and tube/syringe fluids into her. You can also hold a small cup of water up to her beak to see if she will drink on her own.

If you do feel she's having a hard time with an egg, then give her extra calcium. You can find Calcium Citrate at Walmart, Cvs, etc. Give one tablet daily for 3-5 days.
Dehydration and heat exhaustion can make passing an egg more difficult, so I can't stress enough how important it is to hydrate her.

We have several empty Power Ade bottles, I think they are the 16-oz size, that we fill about half full with water and freeze. Every day about noon I top them off with water, put lids on them, and put a couple in each of the chickens' water buckets. If the water in the buckets is already warm I dump it out and put fresh cool water in, then I add these frozen water bottles. I put two water bottles in each water bucket. They usually help keep the water cool the rest of the day, and the chickens drink more if the water is cool. It really helps. It's been close to or over 100 every day for about two weeks, with no relief in sight.

Back
Top Bottom