Hen had stroke

We have several empty Power Ade bottles, I think they are the 16-oz size, that we fill about half full with water and freeze. Every day about noon I top them off with water, put lids on them, and put a couple in each of the chickens' water buckets. If the water in the buckets is already warm I dump it out and put fresh cool water in, then I add these frozen water bottles. I put two water bottles in each water bucket. They usually help keep the water cool the rest of the day, and the chickens drink more if the water is cool. It really helps. It's been close to or over 100 every day for about two weeks, with no relief in sight.
Thank you for the advice! Currently, I'm filling an empty milk jug with water, freezing it, and putting it in their large bucket waterer. I leave dishes full of water and ice on the ground for them so they can dunk their combs & wattles in to cool themselves off. One of my buff Orpingtons has a dish that she will stand in to cool off her little feet.

Thank you for the advice! Currently, I'm filling an empty milk jug with water, freezing it, and putting it in their large bucket waterer. I leave dishes full of water and ice on the ground for them so they can dunk their combs & wattles in to cool themselves off. One of my buff Orpingtons has a dish that she will stand in to cool off her little feet.
Good ideas. I lost another hen yesterday, possibly to heat. 😕 She would have been a year old next month. Just found her dead on the coop floor, no signs of trauma.

Back
Top Bottom