Hen has an eye problem

yellowjacketgal

Chirping
Mar 17, 2021
One of my golden comet pullets stayed out overnight (couldn't find her last night). Now that she turned up, my daughter noticed that one of her eyes is cloudy (see picture). Is this a treat at home situation, or should I be rushing to the vet?
IMG_20210317_103538170.jpg

One of my golden comet pullets stayed out overnight (couldn't find her last night). Now that she turned up, my daughter noticed that one of her eyes is cloudy (see picture). Is this a treat at home situation, or should I be rushing to the vet?
Are you sure that's not just her eyelid?
Can you get a better picture?

UPDATE: After taking our pirate chicken to the vet, I learned that there is no ulcer and that it is, indeed, her third eyelid swollen shut. The vet gave her some steroids for inflammation and antibiotics just to be safe. He says that it should clear up in a day or two. I will keep you all posted.

Oh, and it has been raining a lot here, so her feathers were all wet in the picture, of course.

Last edited:
UPDATE: After taking our pirate chicken to the vet, I learned that there is no ulcer and that it is, indeed, her third eyelid swollen shut. The vet gave her some steroids for inflammation and antibiotics just to be safe. He says that it should clear up in a day or two. I will keep you all posted.

Oh, and it has been raining a lot here, so her feathers were all wet in the picture, of course.
UPDATE: Our pullet is no longer a pirate. She has been back with the flock for a few weeks now, and she seems to be doing just fine.

Back
Top Bottom