Hen has never laid an egg

AutumRose

In the Brooder
May 20, 2023
Hi there. I have an Easter egger mix who was born around April of this year (2023) who has never laid an egg. In June/July I integrated her in to my flock of three hens who were born together in February of this year. Those three all started laying around 18-20 weeks.
I know exactly which eggs are laid by each chicken because they are distinctly different colors plus I have watched them in the nest box. This younger hen has never gone into the nest box, never done that squat thing when I approach her, and never laid an egg. She seems perfectly healthy although she is a little more ornery and won’t let me pick her up like the other three do.
Did I get a dud? Is she likely to never lay at all?

Hi there. I have an Easter egger mix who was born around April of this year (2023) who has never laid an egg. In June/July I integrated her in to my flock of three hens who were born together in February of this year. Those three all started laying around 18-20 weeks.
I know exactly which eggs are laid by each chicken because they are distinctly different colors plus I have watched them in the nest box. This younger hen has never gone into the nest box, never done that squat thing when I approach her, and never laid an egg. She seems perfectly healthy although she is a little more ornery and won’t let me pick her up like the other three do.
Did I get a dud? Is she likely to never lay at all?
Sounds like you might have a hen with a reproductive issue, but that's not certain yet. I'd hold onto her for a few more months before deciding she'll never lay - my Black Copper Maran finally laid at about 8 months old. So 8 or 9 months to lay, while not the norm, can happen. If she's over a year old and still hasn't laid an egg, then I'd suspect reproductive issues. Also, consider the time of year. Although the others are laying, they started in the summer/fall. Since she missed that window, her hormones may not want to start in the winter - she may just start laying in the spring.

There is hope yet. :)

UPDATE: As of January 12, 2024, this hen has FINALLY started laying. I found her medium-sized light blue egg in the nest box. She is nearly 10 months old. Pretty crazy how long it took her.
I'm so glad for the update! We often get eleven eggs, but NEVER twelve, from twelve hens. One of the hens doesn't squat and won't let me pick her up. I know it's her 🤨 After reading stories like this, I'll be watching and waiting 😊

I'm so glad for the update! We often get eleven eggs, but NEVER twelve, from twelve hens. One of the hens doesn't squat and won't let me pick her up. I know it's her 🤨 After reading stories like this, I'll be watching and waiting 😊
Unless you have production breeds you will rarely get 12 eggs from 12 hens even if they are all laying.

I have a Welsummer from MyPetChicken, that went into lay at 5 months. Gave me small eggs for 2 weeks and then stopped. Took to vets in June of 2023, who saw nothing wrong. Took X-rays to make sure she wasn’t egg bound. Put her on antibiotics to be on the safe side, but still nothing. Got really hot so didn’t expect anything. As of February 2024, still no eggs. I’m in FL, so it’s not too cold. She is over a year old. Sweet, but a dud so far.

As of February 2024, still no eggs. I’m in FL, so it’s not too cold.
Day length has a much bigger effect than temperature.

It's common for people to provide supplemental light and get eggs all winter long, even in very cold climates.

On the other hand, you could keep chickens inside a climate-controlled building at the perfect temperature, and short days would still make them stop laying in the winter if there were no lights other than the natural sunlight.

I have a Welsummer from MyPetChicken, that went into lay at 5 months. Gave me small eggs for 2 weeks and then stopped....As of February 2024, still no eggs. I’m in FL, so it’s not too cold. She is over a year old. Sweet, but a dud so far.
There is a good chance that she will start laying sometime in the next few months, as the days keep getting longer.

But with that track record, she will probably never be a very GOOD layer. (Unless she has been laying all along and something has been happening to the eggs. Hidden nests, or eggs getting eaten by the hens or by other animals, are other reasons that you might find no eggs, but I'm guessing you have already checked for anything like that.)

Back
Top Bottom