hen hatching babies?

hiltopsassafras

Chirping
10 Years
Jul 8, 2013
I am new to chickens:)

I have a broody, mean game hen. She is witchy...but she entertains me and lays everyday so she gets to stay.
Like I said she has become broody, this week. What is the effect on a hen that is broody if you let her lay her egg and hatch the baby(s)? Will she always be broody? Will her attitude change once she is mama hen? Mares with a crappy attitude will sometimes change once you breed them and they have a foal.
Will she be a good mama or do some hens abandon there babies?
I would like to let her hatch, but don't know what I am getting into.

I have raised 3 store bought chics successfully. So if I have to raise, can do. My flock is 10 hens, one Barred Rock Rooster...he's a stud!

Just sayin,

Sassy

I am new to chickens:)

I have a broody, mean game hen. She is witchy...but she entertains me and lays everyday so she gets to stay.
Like I said she has become broody, this week. What is the effect on a hen that is broody if you let her lay her egg and hatch the baby(s)? Will she always be broody? Will her attitude change once she is mama hen? Mares with a crappy attitude will sometimes change once you breed them and they have a foal.
Will she be a good mama or do some hens abandon there babies?
I would like to let her hatch, but don't know what I am getting into.

I have raised 3 store bought chics successfully. So if I have to raise, can do. My flock is 10 hens, one Barred Rock Rooster...he's a stud!

Just sayin,

Sassy
She should get back to the way she was but nothing is sure. As far as what kind of mother she will be there is no way to tell. I think most people get a kick out of watching them hatch and grow.

Back
Top Bottom