Hen in coop

Thank you everyone for your suggestions I will all of them a try. Which ever one works I will sure post something.

Now that she is not a broody how can I get her out the box, blast the music like someone stated previously or the wire cage. I just don't know what to do, she comes out to eat and use the bathroom and walk around then she goes right back in the nesting box. How long does this last weeks or month. Now the just started laying in March after almost a year. I am glad that my sister introduced me to this forum because people on here are full of help and suggestions.

Now that she is not a broody how can I get her out the box, blast the music like someone stated previously or the wire cage. I just don't know what to do, she comes out to eat and use the bathroom and walk around then she goes right back in the nesting box. How long does this last weeks or month. Now the just started laying in March after almost a year. I am glad that my sister introduced me to this forum because people on here are full of help and suggestions.
It takes 3 weeks for chicks to develop and hatch. Some broodies will give up brooding on their own after 4 weeks. Some won't stop until chicks hatch, or they are given chicks to raise. If there are no fertile eggs to hatch, and they aren't given chicks, they can continue brooding for months. Then it will be another 4 to 6 weeks before they start laying again. Broody hens hardly eat or drink, so the longer they are broody, the more depleted they become. This leaves them susceptible to illness, dehydration, or even starvation. If you're not planning on letting her hatch or raise chicks, break her as soon as possible. An elevated wire dog crate, with hardware cloth on the bottom to make it more comfortable for her feet works well. Keep the crate in a sheltered area, and provide her with food and water, but no bedding. After 2 days, let her out. If she goes straight back to the nest, put her back in the crate for another 48 hours.

Back
Top Bottom