Hen in molt has not layed for 3wks

blackfootfarm

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jul 11, 2009
Oregon
Ok so this is the on going saga of the weird hen who was laying a hard egg and then a soft one. Well now she is in molt and she has not laid an egg for over 3weeks. She seems healthy and happy other wise, so what do you all think?

I think she is in a natural molt. Sometimes their bodies do such crazy stuff. When she begins to lay again you may have some soft eggs as well. Its a
hormonal thing. If she were not molting and did this consistantly I would say she has had or does have disease that affects the egg laying. Mine are molting now too. I thought the first day that I had had an attack by something. then one of my buffs shook herself and feathers went everywhere. Its the age and time of year. Sigh.... they are going to look horrible for a while. Gloria jean

Yeah, totally normal. I have several hens molting right now, and they have stopped laying.

I have one hen who "appears" to be done with her molt. She looks great! Still no eggs from her, and I really don't expect any until mid-February. I don't add supplemental light in the coops, and there are too few hours of daylight for much egglaying to be going on.

Yeah she has laid the soft and hard egg since I got her in the spring from a person in town. She doesn't look too rough so far, but I assume that is what is going on since many of my other hens are loosing feathers. She is odd to be sure with the way she has always laid, I am hoping that maybe she will go back to normal after this molt. It never seemed to be a drain on her to lay the two eggs, so I don't know what to thing!

Back
Top Bottom