Hen is fine last night, down today??

Thanks for the info, she was vacciated for Marek's, but I will try to get her to a vet today, apparently bird vets are few and far between. Found one, but waiting on a call back to see what time I can take her.

Thanks for the info, she was vacciated for Marek's, but I will try to get her to a vet today, apparently bird vets are few and far between. Found one, but waiting on a call back to see what time I can take her.

I hope they can see her
fl.gif

Thanks for the disease link, very informative. She is hanging in there, the vet called me to come in, but I am 1 hour away, and they were closing in 40 minutes! So that didn't happen, but I can take her at 8 am when they open, if she makes it thru the night. She actually has been moving around her little pen, compared to the last 8 hours where she didn't move at all. I've been giving electrolyte water about every hour, this last time she swallowed about 3 eyedropper's full. So I don't want to get my hopes up, but at least she's still with us. Still no signs that match up with any specific disease, so I'm thinking it was a toxin.

No problem! For now you can hard boil some eggs and then just give her the yolk all mashed up. *JUST THE YOLK*!!! Are you giving her nutri drench or apple cider vinegar?
By the way, you can thumbs peoples posts up if they were helpful.

Thanks for the disease link, very informative. She is hanging in there, the vet called me to come in, but I am 1 hour away, and they were closing in 40 minutes! So that didn't happen, but I can take her at 8 am when they open, if she makes it thru the night. She actually has been moving around her little pen, compared to the last 8 hours where she didn't move at all. I've been giving electrolyte water about every hour, this last time she swallowed about 3 eyedropper's full. So I don't want to get my hopes up, but at least she's still with us. Still no signs that match up with any specific disease, so I'm thinking it was a toxin.
Pushing those electrolytes is great!

BTW, off topic a bit - I love the dog in your avatar! It looks like a sweet girl I once had
smile.png

Let us know what the vet says.

At the vet's all morning - she is still hanging on but just barely. They gave her about 10 percent chance of making it. She got iv fluids, penicillin, etc and I have to continue sub-cu fluids and tube feedings as well as pencillin injections. She did a fecal test which revealed a toxin or bacteria ( I forgot which word she used, my brain is flooded with stuff right now) that comes from raccoon feces!!! Just last week, my husband eliminated 6 at one time from our property. We rarely see any on our property, I guess word got out in the raccoon world that we are packin'. So somehow she ingested this toxin and it has a severe neurological effect on the animal. Oh, and people can contract this too! She didn't rule out any other form of toxin, but she said chickens usually will stay away from stuff that is poisonous. So, all I can do is keep up the fluids, tube feedings and charcoal flushing and penicillin and keep my fingers crossed. Basically, the vet said the only positive things are that Kalani is young, and she was a very healthy bird with no parasites, so she has some strength to fight this with, but it is a grave situation. Not a good weekend.
hit.gif

But I do really like this bird vet, a different one than who I was calling originally. So if anyone needs a good vet in South Florida, let me know!

At the vet's all morning - she is still hanging on but just barely. They gave her about 10 percent chance of making it. She got iv fluids, penicillin, etc and I have to continue sub-cu fluids and tube feedings as well as pencillin injections. She did a fecal test which revealed a toxin or bacteria ( I forgot which word she used, my brain is flooded with stuff right now) that comes from raccoon feces!!! Just last week, my husband eliminated 6 at one time from our property. We rarely see any on our property, I guess word got out in the raccoon world that we are packin'. So somehow she ingested this toxin and it has a severe neurological effect on the animal. Oh, and people can contract this too! She didn't rule out any other form of toxin, but she said chickens usually will stay away from stuff that is poisonous. So, all I can do is keep up the fluids, tube feedings and charcoal flushing and penicillin and keep my fingers crossed. Basically, the vet said the only positive things are that Kalani is young, and she was a very healthy bird with no parasites, so she has some strength to fight this with, but it is a grave situation. Not a good weekend.
hit.gif

But I do really like this bird vet, a different one than who I was calling originally. So if anyone needs a good vet in South Florida, let me know!

How awful!
hugs.gif
I would never have imagined she would have gotten into Raccoon poop. I am glad that you found a vet that could help. I do hope that she pulls through with treatment.

Please keep us posted on her progress.

Still hanging in there, comb has a little more color than yesterday and she is fighting a little when it comes to feeding/IV. We don't want to get our hopes up but she's definitely not worse, if anything a tiny bit better. She is trying to move her head today, which is an improvment, considering she looked like she was comatose yesterday. We'll keep up the meds and feeding as long as she doesn't give up on us. Thanks for all the input everyone, it's reassuring to see others care about chickens as much as we do.

Back
Top Bottom