Hen is first time mom and a surrogate!

Erinnlyn

Songster
Aug 21, 2022
Mid-Missouri
I guess our hen was determined to be a mom this year. She went broody twice this summer and she's only 9 months old. The second time, she seemed to be in it for the long haul, so I went and got her 3, day-old chicks and put them under her on day 19 of setting. In the morning she was talking to them and showing them where the food and water was. It's so adorable!

Attachments

• BtsBBs1.jpg
    BtsBBs1.jpg
    484.7 KB · Views: 50
  • BtsBBs2.jpg
    BtsBBs2.jpg
    268.4 KB · Views: 9
I guess our hen was determined to be a mom this year. She went broody twice this summer and she's only 9 months old. The second time, she seemed to be in it for the long haul, so I went and got her 3, day-old chicks and put them under her on day 19 of setting. In the morning she was talking to them and showing them where the food and water was. It's so adorable!
CUTE! Chicks are so cute!

That is Great she so readily accepted and adopted the chicks. But is she still sitting on eggs?

That is Great she so readily accepted and adopted the chicks. But is she still sitting on eggs?
Nope, she's not sitting. She was sitting on fake eggs. I put the eggs in there to encourage them to utilize other nest boxes instead of just the one! I collected eggs everyday for a while from other hens that added, then I separated her into her own coop for a while before I went to get her chicks. I removed the fake eggs at the same time I was sneaking the chicks in. :)

Back
Top Bottom