hen is gaping her mouth, shaking her head, and has what looks like mucus in her mouth. please help

Featheryyards

Chirping
Jan 24, 2022
so i just posted on here earlier for my roosters and not a couple hours after that this happened and i am in more panic then normal t know how to handle this. one of my bantam hens ( she is less than a year old but lays eggs and is an adult) has very recently started gaping her mouth open randomly, shaking her head like she is trying to throw up, and as of 30 ish minutes ago, has strings of what looks like either mucus or saliva in her mouth. her crop is also really hard. i tried getting in contact with my vet but they are closed till Tuesday and im really worried about her. she still seems very attentive (keeps her eyes open, can walk around, bites at my hands when i go to pet her) but the weird symptoms are scaring me. i tried offering water and she wouldnt touch it. i even tried offering her yakult ( probiotic drink ) which is her favorite and despite actively looking like she wanted to drink it, when she goes to put her head in the cup to drink some she looks like she gasps for air and backs away. she did this multiple times like she really wants to drink it but something is stopping her. please any advice or help would be heavily thanked. i just want my babies to be ok. none of my other birds are having these issues at all.

has very recently started gaping her mouth open randomly, shaking her head like she is trying to throw up, and as of 30 ish minutes ago, has strings of what looks like either mucus or saliva in her mouth. her crop is also really hard.
Any lesions inside her beak?
Is she pooping?

Sounds like she's got an impacted crop.

Re-check her crop first thing in the morning and let us know what it feels like.

At this point, I would not force any fluids into her, but do make some plain water available.

Any lesions inside her beak?
Is she pooping?

Sounds like she's got an impacted crop.

Re-check her crop first thing in the morning and let us know what it feels like.

At this point, I would not force any fluids into her, but do make some plain water available.
i got her beak open earlier today a saw no cuts or anything in her beak or throat. i even did my best to check for gapeworms and didnt see any. just a couple hours ago she was eating and drinking fine too. i will do my best to check tomorrow, im hoping she makes it through the night. i havnt seen her poop in a bit but she was definetly a poopy girl earlier. ill keep an eye out for nay droppings though

i got her beak open earlier today a saw no cuts or anything in her beak or throat. i even did my best to check for gapeworms and didnt see any. just a couple hours ago she was eating and drinking fine too. i will do my best to check tomorrow, im hoping she makes it through the night. i havnt seen her poop in a bit but she was definetly a poopy girl earlier. ill keep an eye out for nay droppings though
I hope her crop is able to empty overnight.

What do you feed including treats?
Do you provide grit for your flock?

I hope her crop is able to empty overnight.

What do you feed including treats?
Do you provide grit for your flock?
same. we feed her layena (its a green bag that has pellets, my vet recommended it) and small amounts of scratch mix (usually a small handful mixed into a small ziplock bag of their regular feed) along with treats such as minced garlic, yakult, and sometimes micro greens since she is an inside bird who doesnt get the chance to go on the grass much (had a bad flood and have a lot of mud with potential bacteria). we dont feed these to her often either. the yakult is the only common one which is once a morning and a couple sips from her.

Have you used any rodenticides lately where this hen may have found it?

Mucous in the mouth may be a symptom of poisoning. If she's fluffed up and acting "off", that would also be symptoms. If you have any activated charcoal, I highly recommend stuffing a couple capsules down her throat. Just slide them into her beak on her right side of her tongue.

No harm done if this isn't poisoning, but it'd be wise to cover that base with immediate antidote for poison.

Have you used any rodenticides lately where this hen may have found it?

Mucous in the mouth may be a symptom of poisoning. If she's fluffed up and acting "off", that would also be symptoms. If you have any activated charcoal, I highly recommend stuffing a couple capsules down her throat. Just slide them into her beak on her right side of her tongue.

No harm done if this isn't poisoning, but it'd be wise to cover that base with immediate antidote for poison.
definitely no poisons of any kind as far as i know. we dont ever use things like rat poisons or bug sprays (any sprays really) around our birds.

Have you noticed any strange caterpillars lying about. I had a couple of chicks poisoned by one. I would stuff activated charcoal down her anyway. It won't hurt anything.

Back
Top Bottom