Hen is "REALLY" Broody!

akcskye

Songster
12 Years
Apr 11, 2007
I cross posted this, seems I put it in the wrong category the first time, the "from egg to hatch"...I guess I should have realized that meant incubator style.

Anyway, here goes:

Well, my RIR that I *thought* was going to be broody ends up just having broody tendencies...by that, I mean that she will guard a nest of 5 or more, but once it's night-time, she calls it quits.

Tonight, however, I went to collect eggs, as I have a new job assignment temporarily and I knew no one went out and got any eggs yesterday...so I knew there'd be at least 9 or 10.

Well, the familiar "brrrrrrrrr.....Churp......."

One of my AUSTRALORPS, Heidi, is out there on my nest right now, guarding however many eggs are underneath her.

So, I take it that an "all night watch" is a good sign, right?

If she's not on the nest tomorrow night, should I go ahead and take the eggs so they don't spoil?

I'm totally new to this aspect of chicken keeping, so any advice will GREATLY be appreciated.

IF she hatches...they will be mix of Buff Orpington (all would be, we only have one roo) and either RIR, Australorp, SLW, or Brahma.

Wish us luck!

Kristi

If she's sitting at night she will probably continue!
fl.gif
jumpy.gif
This is my favorite stuff!!! Mark the eggs under her with a pencil so you can still collect the other eggs (she will get up for food and water and some will lay in her nest!)
Amy J.

I have a broody Australorp rightn now. I just pick her up and check under her for any new eggs. The bantams were the only ones laying in the nest she picked. but apparently they aren't anymore. I have not found a new egg under her for a week. but she has not yet tried to bite me. But she won't move. Just kinda clucks at me. She is being oh so nice

I have a broody hen. I continuously keep taking her off the nest. She only has a fake egg under her. I don't want to hatch out any chicks this year. I put her on the roost the last thing at night. I will probably have to put her in a cage for a week, so she will forget. Merry

Congrats on your new Broody!! I have a Delaware that has been sitting for about 6 days now. She is very sweet. she lets me pick her up to check for new eggs, and dosent peck. My girl is sitting on 12 eggs, and they will be mixes as well. Cant wait to see what the chicks look like!
smile.png

It's best to seperate the broody and her eggs. She needs to be away from the flock to get her job done. Hens always wanting to lay in her nest is not a good thing, and the newborn chicks need a place for mom to teach them how to eat and drink without all the other birds causing trouble.

bigzio

We've had about 10 different mamas (over about 4 years) raise their babies with the other 50 or so chickens and 4 goats and they have all grown up great and healthy:jumpy. Mamas have good instinct if they are fluffing up and clucking a lot. If they are letting the others pick on her a lot then I would consider moving her, but the bigger breeds seem to be able to hold their own.
Amy J.

Back
Top Bottom