Hen is wheezing and rattling, small black scab in throat. Fowl pox or something else?

Fluffy_Feathers

Songster
6 Years
Jul 6, 2017
Missouri
When I got home from work today to let my chickens out I noticed Lucky wheezing as she was running with the flock. She was clearly having a hard time breathing, slightly stretching her neck out with her mouth opened. Tonight I was able to grab her to look into her mouth and throat. When holding her she was struggling and she started wheezing and rattling again. I could feel the rattling in my hands as she breathed when I held her. When looking into her mouth I saw what appeared to be a black scab, maybe half a centimeter in diameter or less. Now, I know wet fowl pox causes scabs in the mouth and throat, that's why I looked, but I thought those are typically supposed to be yellow not black, at least when you first find them? And there's only one small scab, from what I've seen they're always bigger and there's multiple.

These are the best pictures I could get. I really tried but couldn't get a clear shot of the actual scab.

This is the only picture I could get where you could even see the scab. Maybe it's useful I don't know.
20210628_214255.jpg
This is the clearest picture of her mouth I could get. It doesn't include the scab but maybe this is helpful as well.
20210628_214247.jpg

Is this wet fowl pox? I'm thinking about administering antibiotics just in case it is a respiratory infection, and as supportive care in case it is wet fowl pox. What do you guys think?

I should also add she is acting completely normal, bright with a nice red comb. Just the wheezing, mouth open, and slightly outstretched neck that one time. Resting she is fine, but moving and exerting herself she wheezes.

Can you get a clearer photo?

Exerting herself how? Were you trying to catch her? Was she only wheezing when you held her?
I can try to get a clearer photo, but even with 2 people trying I couldn't get a clear photo. She would breathe on the lens and fog it up. I'm at work right now but I can try again when I get home.

When she is running she starts wheezing and having a hard time. When casually walking or just sitting there she seems fine. When I picked her up to examine her and take pictures she was struggling and trying to move her head away, and she was wheezing then.

I can try to get a clearer photo, but even with 2 people trying I couldn't get a clear photo. She would breathe on the lens and fog it up. I'm at work right now but I can try again when I get home.

When she is running she starts wheezing and having a hard time. When casually walking or just sitting there she seems fine. When I picked her up to examine her and take pictures she was struggling and trying to move her head away, and she was wheezing then.
How does her abdomen feel? Any bloat or fluid?

Could have been food inside the beak, but it's best to check that out again. With Wet Fowl Pox you would see more lesions than just a small place inside the beak.
If you notice a bad odor, then canker would be a good possibility, but it would not really cause wheezing unless it was advanced and you would see quite a few lesions.

How does her abdomen feel? Any bloat or fluid?

Could have been food inside the beak, but it's best to check that out again. With Wet Fowl Pox you would see more lesions than just a small place inside the beak.
If you notice a bad odor, then canker would be a good possibility, but it would not really cause wheezing unless it was advanced and you would see quite a few lesions.
Her abdomen felt normal.

I smelled her breath and I did not really smell anything. I'll check her mouth again tonight to see if that black thing is still there and I'll smell her breath again while I'm at it. Would it be very pungent, or would it be a slight odor?

Is this sounding like a respiratory infection?

If it's canker it would be a bad odor.

It's possible it's respiratory infection. Could be some reproductive issues, poor ventilation, heat stress, but if the wheezing continues and you don't find any other cause, then you can try treating with an antibiotic like Tylosin to see if that makes a difference.

If it's canker it would be a bad odor.

It's possible it's respiratory infection. Could be some reproductive issues, poor ventilation, heat stress, but if the wheezing continues and you don't find any other cause, then you can try treating with an antibiotic like Tylosin to see if that makes a difference.
I think I can already tick off heat stress. The last week it has been rainy and a bit cooler here.

Would problems with ventilation randomly pop up like this? I've had her for 4 years and nothing has changed recently. Would the other chickens start having problems as well?

I'll try to watch to see if she's laying okay.

Thank you!

I think I can already tick off heat stress. The last week it has been rainy and a bit cooler here.

Would problems with ventilation randomly pop up like this? I've had her for 4 years and nothing has changed recently. Would the other chickens start having problems as well?

I'll try to watch to see if she's laying okay.

Thank you!
If she's 4 and been in the same housing with no problem, then I would rule out ventilation.

At 4 and wheezing, I would suspect reproductive problems and maybe crop symptoms.
Check to see that her crop is emptying overnight.
I've had hens start to wheeze when they would get a bit of fluid in the abdomen due to reproductive disorders. It doesn't take much fluid to cause symptoms.
Interestingly, the symptoms can wax and wane little, at least it did in mine. Maybe their body was able to flush the fluid out, but over time it took it's tole unfortunately. Just speculation on my part.

If she's 4 and been in the same housing with no problem, then I would rule out ventilation.

At 4 and wheezing, I would suspect reproductive problems and maybe crop symptoms.
Check to see that her crop is emptying overnight.
I've had hens start to wheeze when they would get a bit of fluid in the abdomen due to reproductive disorders. It doesn't take much fluid to cause symptoms.
Interestingly, the symptoms can wax and wane little, at least it did in mine. Maybe their body was able to flush the fluid out, but over time it took it's tole unfortunately. Just speculation on my part.
Okay I'll also check her crop in the morning. I know with her age she's more likely to develop health problems, especially reproductive. Hopefully it's not anything serious and it's something that can be treated or will go away.

Thank you for your help! I'll give an update if I find out anything

Back
Top Bottom