Hen Just Died

Help advice needed! I've had 3 hens died in two days, all xcross breed frizzle and austrolps. Sisters. First all looked normal and healthy, dead in pen in morning. Other was dead by night. Next one was nearly dead with her neck twisted around couldn't move.. then died.. I don't think it was poisoned. Could it be a genic disorder? No sighns of blood or trama?
How long have you had them?

2mths only 5mths old
Have you recently added any new birds? My first guess would be Coccidiosis,some symptoms of cocci are; runny/water poop (may or may not have blood,depends on which strain it is)fluffed feathers,lethargic,not eating/drinking,weight loss. Coccidiosis kills very fast,but is easily controlled using a coccidiostat. How many birds do you have together,no symptoms in other birds?

Have you recently added a heat lamp,if so check to make sure it has no teflon coating on it anywhere.

Last edited:
Yes I got a new bird the other day. They weren't of food or any symptoms. Just dropped dead. Were to you get coccidiostat from? A vet farm store? I have 10 more hens, ducks ,geese, chicks. No other chickens have any symptoms? Ill have a closer look for runny poo

Yes I got a new bird the other day. They weren't of food or any symptoms. Just dropped dead. Were to you get coccidiostat from? A vet farm store? I have 10 more hens, ducks ,geese, chicks. No other chickens have any symptoms? Ill have a closer look for runny poo
You can purchase Corid(amprolium)or might be called Amprol(amprolium)depending where you live. It can found at most feed/livestock stores in the cattle section,it will say for cattle,but it is used in poultry. If you live in Canada it has to be purchased through a vet(you do not have to purchase the whole bottle,for 10 birds i purchased 500ml and still have over 1/2 bottle left).

Dose for Corid/Amprol 9.6% liquid is 2 tsp per gallon of water,dose for Corid 20% powder is 1-1.5 tsp per gallon of water.treat ALL birds for 5-7 days. Make sure this is the only water available to them, Do not give vitamins during treatment,interferes with the ability of the coccidiostat to work properly. Give vitamins after treatment is complete.

Coccidiosis is a parasitic infection of the intestinal tract and is spread by droppings which get into feed/water via droppings. It can also be spread by bringing in new birds to your flock(chickens are only immune to the strains that they have had prior exposure to)by your own hands/clothes/shoes/feed utensils/wild birds,etc.

Last edited:
Help advice needed! I've had 3 hens died in two days, all xcross breed frizzle and austrolps. Sisters. First all looked normal and healthy, dead in pen in morning. Other was dead by night. Next one was nearly dead with her neck twisted around couldn't move.. then died.. I don't think it was poisoned. Could it be a genic disorder? No sighns of blood or trama?

I bolded and highlighted your sentence above as I found it interesting. I had the same thing occur over a year ago. Young pullet, had just begun laying, seemed absolutely fine when she went to roost the night before. The next morning I found her on the ground, couldn't move, barely alive, and it looked like her head was twisted all way around. No way anything got in the coop, no sign that anything had gotten hold of her, the other three girls not bothered or ill. We quickly put her out of her misery.

I had noticed her scratching in an old wet leaf pile a few days before and it was during a really warm spell. Also realized their food was in a black container in full sun and there was condensation but I wasn't seeing mold. Anyway, I chalked it up to botulism after eliminating all other possible causes but I have no verification that was the cause.

Could your girl have gotten into wet or moldy feed or old compost?

Does it look like wry neck from the video below?

0.jpg

The treatment is also shown too. Tried to knock out 2 birds with 1 stone. It's hand feed the hen and give good electrolyte solution.

It could be they got into mold while free ranging but I hope not and I'm going for the one you can do something about.

If they got into mold that is toxic to chickens (feed, compost and other natural sources), they would have botulism and there's not much you can do except a charcoal flush. I would use the human grade medication and adjust the dosing. It's typically an over the counter and used for overdoses and poisoning. It won't work if it was a while ago tho. (has to be administered the moment they do get into it and the charcoal absorbs it to prevent harm but it won't stop any harm that has already occured). The recipe is 1 activated charcoal tsp to 8 oz of water. It's good for the future tho.

The other treatment straight out of the book, Chickens for dummies, is "Treatment: Antitoxin available from vet but expensive. If found early try 1 teaspoon Epsom salts dissolved in 1 ounce warm water dripped into crop several times a day." for mold poisoning/botulism.

I am really hoping for wry neck. If any of your other flock members have it, it be the easier treatment.

Here are some helpful chicken recipes. It also may help with the cause because I think we are missing a piece of information and I can't put my finger on it.

http://ultimatefowl.wordpress.com/2008/11/23/natural-organic-cures-and-remedies-for-poultry/

Also with all the diseases mentioned you have to hand feed and give electrolytes with the exception of 1-2. So even if we can't diagnose it you may want to do that because that treatment can't hurt. This is if any of your other birds have this of course.

I'm really sorry all this happening. I know it would be hard to be in your shoes right now.

You may want to consider a hardware cloth fence to keep them out of some stuff (small and movable, if they are getting into compost etc). Even tho chickens are great about avoiding stuff, they are pros when it comes to Murphy's law.

Coccidiosis may be secondary but I don't think it's the cause for everything because of the neck symptom you described. Corid is the treatment. If you can't find corid go with sulment but it's harsher compared to corid. Corid is prefered.

Last edited:
Are they near any pond or source of algae?

"Algae Poisoning
This condition affects the nervous system as well as internal organs.
You may find your fowl exhibiting signs of weakness. They may stagger or convulse. You may find your fowl prostrated with their legs extended outward towards their rear. The fowl’s neck may be extended and/or curved backwards until the head all but touches the back. You may find that your fowl are paralyzed or die very rapidly.
To treat this condition:
Try to restrict the bird’s activity as much as possible. Move the affected fowl to a cool, dry place that is slightly darkened and relatively quite. Offer them a vitamin and electrolyte solution in their water until a full recovery is made. Try to keep algae to a minimum by washing and disinfecting watering containers.Borax is an excellent all natural disinfectant. You may also try a flush which can be found below. Copper Sulfate can be used to reduce the amount of algae in ponds and slow moving creeks. Apply 12 oz. To approximately every acre of still or slow moving water. Copper sulfate is a naturally occurring mineral. (aka – Blue Stone) Check your state and local regulations before applying to a body of water."

It's from the link above. I'm really sorry about your hen and I hope I can help.

Back
Top Bottom