Hen just sits in coop in her poop

I did not think you were being abrupt or accusatory at all. I appreciate your advice and the time you took to research my previous post. I have never had to deal with an illness of any sort, only predators. She is still sitting with her head facing the wall, but at least she is alive. After it gets a little warmer outside, I will change the medicated water since it froze over during the nite and give her another syringe full. If you think of something else I should do, please do not hesitate to let me know.

What does her poo look like, is it normal, huge, stinky?
Does she make any type of noise or puff up when you approach her? Do you think she may be broody. I'm at a loss, have you check her vent to make sure she doesn't have an egg stuck ~ I think after a couple of days of that she would be worse though.

Her poo is runny. Another reader suggested I give her Corid. I had one die a few weeks ago with the same symptoms. I don't know how to check for a stuck egg, but rather doubt that is the issue since none of my flock are laying. Thank you for asking.

Treating her with corid won't hurt.
How old is she? Has she ever laid an egg? Looking at her she still looks young. If they haven't started laying, then either continue to feed a chick starter or an all flock feed. All flock feed works good if you have a flock with different ages, you would just supply oyster shell separately for those that are laying.
Another thought is where is she in the pecking order and do you have a rooster? If she is reaching maturity, comb reddening, etc., and you have a roo she may be unsure of what his advances are all about. Do you think she is hiding?

She is about 3 years old and has laid. Regarding pecking order, she is equal to the others I would suspect. I only have 4 hens right now. I do supplement with oyster shell. I don't think she is hiding since she has many of the same actions as the one that died a few weeks ago.

She came out of the coop when I called them for a treat. Very little watery poo. Gave her a couple more syringes of Corid. How much and how often and how many syringes should I give her?

Here is a thread by @casportpony she is very knowledgeable about dosages. You may want to pm her and ask her if she has any ideas about your girls condition, she is always happy to help.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/818879/updated-corid-and-amprol-amprolium-dosing

I'm glad she was able to come out for a treat. But not much poo could be an sign of dehydration and not eating. I'm sorry I don't have much experience. She's a pretty girl. I have 2 Barred Rocks myself and I just love them.

Back
Top Bottom