Hen killed her 4 1/2 week old chick!!

Well update...hen has completely snapped out of her broody stage and tried rejoining the others today but it was a struggle for her. Right back to the bottom of the pecking order she went so she kind of hung out by herself most of the day. Well actually she followed me everywhere. Hmmm...homicidal hen following me everywhere...creepy. Anyways chicks ended up shacking with another hen and her chicks which are only 5 days younger so now she has a handful lol. All appears to be well I guess. Thank you for everyones input! Helped a lot!

Last edited:

Sorry it took a couple days. Been really busy. But here is the hen who is taking care of two seperate hatchlings and doing a great job!

Sorry it took a couple days. Been really busy. But here is the hen who is taking care of two seperate hatchlings and doing a great job!
WOW!! You have a top-rate broody there for sure! Take good care of her for sure! You can tell she's watching them closely...thanks so much for sharing!

Thank you for the compliments on her. Yeah she is definitely a good one. She might be thanking her lucky stars now that 7 of hers didnt make it or she would be watching after 22 instead of only 15 lol.

Thought I would update this thread. I am happy to say that this broody is still being mamma of the year to the 9 eight week old chicks that arent even hers and the 5 seven week old chicks that are hers. I am amazed that she is still just as watchful and protective now as she was 2 months ago! What an awesome buff orpington mamma! My chickens are buff and theyre the stuff! #buffdaddy

Back
Top Bottom