Hen Killing Roosters???

Awww! She wouldn't dare hurt my birds, especially the roosters! They'd kill her, and fight with her till she backs down. She will be separated at first though and put in with my top rooster (standard size!) until she learns her place!

Awww! She wouldn't dare hurt my birds, especially the roosters! They'd kill her, and fight with her till she backs down. She will be separated at first though and put in with my top rooster (standard size!) until she learns her place!
She's crazy, but probably not that crazy. She likely won't mess with an adult LF Rooster, but I bet she sneaks around and tries to whoop up on a few low pecking order hens.

She wouldn't dare!
She might!

All kidding aside, a lot depends on what's wrong with her. I did have a hen that suddenly turned almost overnight. She went bonkers - literally. Even to the point of attacking the adult LF rooster I had repeatedly, even though he beat her down a few times, she just came back for more!!
I did finally cull her and took a look - ovarian cancer, turning black inside, so she was on her way out probably in a few months anyway. Only thing I could figure was her hormones were out of whack and making her insane - sad really.

I would not risk another death because my theory of what she may or may not do didn’t pan out. I just don’t understand risking injury even if she does not kill. Betting on weather she does or doesn’t at the cost of another injury or death just escapes me.
First one perhaps
Second well that would be on me.
Third one that’s just abusive and neglect.
To put her in a situation to be dealt with... that’s just
Wrong.

For me, the "broomstick method" - cervical dislocation.
I would not sell or re-home a chicken that is killing others.

Could be, I can't tell what it is! But to me that would not make much difference since it got into another pen and killed a pullet as well.
POSSIBLY space might be an issue??! But still - 3 dead flockmates would not sit well with me at all.:confused:
For me, the "broomstick method" - cervical dislocation.
I would not sell or re-home a chicken that is killing others.

Could be, I can't tell what it is! But to me that would not make much difference since it got into another pen and killed a pullet as well.
POSSIBLY space might be an issue??! But still - 3 dead flockmates would not sit well with me at all.:confused:
I wasn't lobbying for a stay of execution just trying to help OP with the question of why.
Then again I'd have no issue with rehoming it as long as it was with full disclosure of what happened.

I think it would be good to try especially sense she’s 9 months and there’s a chance to break her habit, she might just need some confinement for a bit and then to be on the bottom of the pecking order with some much bigger chickens and roosters

Back
Top Bottom