Hen lame and knuckling after vaccine in thigh - help!!

VictoriaP

In the Brooder
May 6, 2016
Hi! My hen hasn’t been doing well, so after taking her to the vet, I was sent home with some Baytril injections to give her intramuscularly.

When I went to give her the first injection in her breast, her pectorals were basically nonexistent. She’s incredibly thin and her keel is so sharp :( I figured it might be safer to give her the IM injection in her thigh, since it felt a bit more substantial. But, after the injection she couldn’t stand on or move the leg.

It’s been 2 days and she improved a little bit. She can put weight on the leg and move it, but she is still walking on her knuckles and she often holds her leg up.

Has anyone ever had any experience like this? If so, do you have any advice? Might splinting the foot so she can stand normally on it help? Is there any way to tell if I hit a nerve or if this is just a reaction between the Baytril and her muscle?

I’m feeling terrible guilt for causing her injury. She seems to be recovering from her original condition, so I sincerely hope she recovers from the vaccine injury. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

It sounds like you hit the sciatic nerve. Sorry about your hen. Injections should be given into the breast muscle for IM, and some give them subcutaneously (under the skin) in the back of the neck. I would probably skip the splint and just do some physical therapy. Baytril can be given orally, but I will tag another BYCer @casportpony to give advice.

Has anyone ever had any experience like this? If so, do you have any advice?
Yes, I did that once too. Advice, don't do it again. :D

ight splinting the foot so she can stand normally on it help?
Just let her recover on her own.

Is there any way to tell if I hit a nerve or if this is just a reaction between the Baytril and her muscle?
Not that I know of.

I’m feeling terrible guilt for causing her injury.
Don't feel guilty, lots of people have done the exact same thing! Just give her time and she should recover.

If she is to thin for IM injections in the breast, give the Baytril orally instead.

Thank you so much for the replies! The vet didn’t tell me I could give baytril orally, so that’s really good to know.

My girl was definitely using her leg more this morning, so it looks like time really is the key!

Back
Top Bottom