Hen lethargic after worming

Featheryfluffybutts

In the Brooder
Sep 1, 2023
Hi! I’m a new chicken mum, got my chooks this summer. I’ve got 3 brown hyline, 1 bluebell and 1 black Rhode rock. The 3 brown hens are a little older and have now been consistently laying since end of July, the bluebell has started to lay in the last couple of weeks and the black one hasn’t started yet.

Anyway, although I couldn’t see any worms in their poop, (I seem to have an obsession of examining the drop tray!) but some of them had dirty bums and some of the yolks could be quite pale. Siouxsie (the bluebell) from the first egg has always laid very pale yolks and her comb is pink rather than red. There were a few other signs so I decided to give them Heygates pellets with flubenvet. After a couple of days (yesterday) I found a HUGE poop in the drop tray, which had some round worms in, not loads but some. The poop literally looked like the body was rejecting all contents. All 4 of the layers laid, 2 golden yolks and 2 pale. Siouxsie’s was pale (I can tell as her she’ll is a different colour)

I did a good clean of the coop and did a poop pick of their fenced off area and found one poop with some worms in.

This morning there were no words in the drop tray but one hen had had quite bad diarrhoea. Again, all 4 layers have laid. But Siouxsie’s egg was tiny!! She’s still early in her laying career so not too worried, but I cracked it open to see the yolk colour and it’s finally a beautiful golden colour! “Great!” I thought- the worming is doing the trick! And I noticed her comb is much brighter and redder today too…

Fast forward to this afternoon and I’m now quite worried about her. She’s really lethargic and either lying down on the ground or roosting on one of the branches they have in their area, with her tail down and feathers all ruffled. I also saw her poop and it was very clear and watery.

Is this normal after worming? Should I be worried? Or will she sort herself after a couple of days? Any help would be very much appreciated. Thank you!

Welcome To BYC

Sound like she may be having some production issues. Perhaps she has another egg on the way. I'd be inclined to give her extra Calcium for a few days to see if that helps. 600mg Calcium Citrate with D3 is good to give.

If you are worried about worm toxicity, seeking vet care would be best, but if not possible, you may find these suggestions helpful:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/help-lethargic-hen.1434454/post-23725685
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/help-lethargic-hen.1434454/post-23725861

Welcome To BYC

Sound like she may be having some production issues. Perhaps she has another egg on the way. I'd be inclined to give her extra Calcium for a few days to see if that helps. 600mg Calcium Citrate with D3 is good to give.

If you are worried about worm toxicity, seeking vet care would be best, but if not possible, you may find these suggestions helpful:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/help-lethargic-hen.1434454/post-23725685
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/help-lethargic-hen.1434454/post-23725861
Thank you for replying!

So it turns out the teeny egg was actually my black rock that was yet to start laying! As a few days ago I found 5 eggs- and we’ve had 5 eggs every day since. Also- typically after I’d spent ages watching my bluebell and being worried so asked for help- probably 10 minutes after posting she was completely normal 🙄

The only thing now is….obviously it means she was off lay for a few days, and her eggs since have been extremely pale almost white (before they were a creamy blush colour) and the shells have been much thinner and rough feeling, not smooth. I’d hoped that after a couple of days she might right herself but she hasn’t. Again she is only a few weeks into her laying career but I’d still like to help her if I can!

It has been very hot for us the last few days but there are 3 waterers between 6 chickens and two feeders with a very large grassy paddock for them. And every so often I give them lettuce/apple/tomato etc scraps. And I bake and crush and give them back their eggshells.

Everyone else’s eggs are good. And hers used to be fine except for the pale yolks.

Im just not sure what I’m doing wrong!!

Any help would be very gratefully received!!

I’m feeding Allen & page small holders layer pellets and I have mixed oyster shell and grit available to them at all times (which they never take!)

I also add apple cider vinegar to their water too.

lettuce/apple/tomato etc scraps.
I'd stop the tomato and luttice as they cause diarrhea and dilute the nutritional value of the feed.
I also add apple cider vinegar to their water too.
ACV should not be added for more than 3 consecutive days as it interferes with the calcium uptake.

Allen & page small holders layer pellets
What is the protein in this feed? I could not find it on their website.

And welcome to the BYC community :frow

In my email it’s notified me that someone has asked me questions but I can’t find it in the thread!

I don’t feed the lettuce/tomato etc scraps very often- maybe once max twice a week and it’s just the odd bit but I’ll stop that.

I thought apple cider vinegar was supposed to be good for them! 😂 seems there’s so much different info! So I’ll stop that too!

And the protein content of their feed is 16%. I had originally fed them the own brand layers pellets from where I bought the hens, they make different feeds for different animals- but then thought I should go for a ‘brand’.

Also to make matters worse she’s laid a completely shell- less egg today. But again, everyone else’s is completely normal. I’ve added a photo of everyone else’s! All cutely laid together- it looks like I’ve put them there which is why I took a photo!

Attachments

• 94DADB8F-DBE4-4869-87F6-036AA889B161.jpeg
    94DADB8F-DBE4-4869-87F6-036AA889B161.jpeg
    628.1 KB · Views: 5
*****UPDATE*****

So, today- she has laid a nearly normal egg!! That’s over 48 hours after no acv, so I really hope that was the culprit!

Yesterdays was still a little rough to touch but felt smoother than her previous do I was hoping todays would be better.
It’s still quite pale but now it’s off white and smooth rather than white and rough feeling. It feels like a much thicker shell. It’s also a huge egg- 73g!

Fingers crossed that that’s the problem solved!

Thank you so much to everyone for all their advice. I really do appreciate it!

Back
Top Bottom