Hen lethargic, emaciated, unsteady

Lozzle

Hatching
5 Years
Mar 1, 2014
Hello all

I've had a hen who's been a bit poorly the past three days. She started out just being a bit quieter than normal then yesterday I don't think she moved at all. She was next to the waterer but I don't think she ate.

I put her into the coop in the evening and this morning she was up on the ramp.

Today, she's very unsteady on her feet, moving her head in and out, lethargic.

1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.) - Age unknown, maybe 4 or 5? possibly older. We got her a year ago. She's always been quiet pretty and a good weight. She is an Isa Brown.
2) What is the behavior, exactly. Unsteady on her feet, moving her head in and out, lethargic. No coughing or rasping or gaping. Comb is bent over.
3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms? 2-3 days
4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms? No
5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma. No
6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation. Unsure.
7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. Neither at this stage.
8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc. Watery yellow/clear
9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? Separated, tried to get her to eat, warm bath for 30 mins supporting her. vent is clean and clear although each time I checked it she strained a little. I massaged her abdomen considering she could be egg bound but she doesn't feel like she is and isn't straining with her full body.
10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet? Home treatment.
11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help. No wound.
12) Describe the housing/bedding in use. Run consists of sand, dirt, gravels, hay litter, some sawdust all sorts.

She's inside now in isolation, quiet and I think she's perked up a little since the warm bath.

Nothing seems swollen, no discharges, crop seems soft and nothing in there, no foul smell from her beak.

I have 3 other hens, all fine.

I've wormed with DE since getting my chooks 3 years ago but will give Lieutenant Chips some Avitrol if the forum thinksit's a good idea.

No mites, fleas, lice present however there has been a new family of mice hanging around the past 2 weeks (we've been catching them in humane traps, so no poisons)

thanks in advance

Last edited:
Well she's still kicking on.

Still lethargic, not moving much and not eating or drinking today although yesterday I did get some water and warm mash into her (only a tiny amount).

I also wormed her on Sunday in case that was the issue.

Last night she was flopped over in a face plant and I thought she had passed but this morning she was awake again.

Checking her this evening she has done a relatively normal looking poop.

We worked out she is 7 years old - we adopted her a year ago and prior to that she was in a backyard for 6 years feasting on all kinds of things, so this ISA Brown has had a grand life to make it to 7. With that, we think it's old age, so will just keep her comfortable.

I'll post anything interesting back in here in case someone finds the reference helpful in future.

Back
Top Bottom