Hen Lethargic,not eating strange poop!

I am stopping the Corid and electrolytes. Now DRINKING TONS of water where she was not 48 hours ago and letting it out the other end. She is now eating 18% Feather Fixer pellets slightly moistened with a good appetite. We are a Boston suburb, no vets interested in poultry at all!
Acting much better, my big concern is the amount of Luis she is releasing. We will see over the PM since she ate how the poop situation is.

20171102_195958599_iOS.jpg 20171102_195942551_iOS.jpg

If she's eating, you're doing as well as can be hoped! Keep monitoring her and doing what your doing. If she's eating then nutri-drench is probably unnecessary.

If you can't find a vet to do the fecal float test, contact your local extension office and ask them if they can recommend anyone to do the test that's local to you. They usually can.

Good luck! Please keep us posted!

It's good that she is drinking. I would still offer the vitamins for a couple of days.

Drinking lots of water - check her crop to make sure it's emptying overnight (full at night/empty in morning before eating/drinking).

Please keep us posted.

Just to give all an update. Much more active, walking around eating pellets and drinking lots of water. ( started nutri drench ). Still roosting on floor. Big improvement but still not right. Lots of wet water poop, though one was similar to the picture with several marble size pieces. Have to do a Fecal Float Test by mail so will be a week for results. Three vets said " we don't do poultry". SORRY! sheesh! Other hens are fine.

Just to give all an update. Much more active, walking around eating pellets and drinking lots of water. ( started nutri drench ). Still roosting on floor. Big improvement but still not right. Lots of wet water poop, though one was similar to the picture with several marble size pieces. Have to do a Fecal Float Test by mail so will be a week for results. Three vets said " we don't do poultry". SORRY! sheesh! Other hens are fine.
Have you tried asking the local vets is they will JUST test poop if you bring the poop in?
Some of my local vets who do NOT see poultry will still test the poop.

Have you tried asking the local vets is they will JUST test poop if you bring the poop in?
Some of my local vets who do NOT see poultry will still test the poop.
Yes - I asked if I could bring in a sample. Even my own vet for our cats
office said we don't do chickens.

It seems many Vets take an oath, but, later forget.

Veterinarian's Oath
Being admitted to the profession of veterinary medicine, I solemnly swear to
use my scientific knowledge and skills for the benefit of society through the
protection of animal health and welfare, the prevention and relief of animal
suffering
, the conservation of animal resources, the promotion of public health,
and the advancement of medical knowledge.
I will practice my profession conscientiously , with dignity , and in keeping with
the principles of veterinary medical ethics.
I accept as a lifelong obligation the continual improvement of my professional knowledge and competence.

Back
Top Bottom