Hen limping. Pics of legs included

fallenmaplefarms

Chirping
Apr 16, 2023
New York
I have a hen that went lame awhile ago. I thought she was egg bound or hurt her foot. Treated her and she was better for two weeks. Now she’s favoring one leg and there seems to be a bump on the bottom of her foot. The first pic is the bump. Second through 5th pic is the same leg. Pic 6 is the bottom of her other foot. There is a bump but not as big as the other foot. A couple more pics if the leg she’s standing on more and the a couple of both legs.

Is this mites? There are no ulcers so I don’t know if it’s bumble foot. Any ideas? What is best to treat her? Thanks for looking!

Attachments

• IMG_3681.jpeg
    IMG_3681.jpeg
    305.5 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_3680.jpeg
    IMG_3680.jpeg
    300.4 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_3682.jpeg
    IMG_3682.jpeg
    249 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_3683.jpeg
    IMG_3683.jpeg
    226.6 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_3685.jpeg
    IMG_3685.jpeg
    310.6 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_3686.jpeg
    IMG_3686.jpeg
    262 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_3687.jpeg
    IMG_3687.jpeg
    269.6 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_3688.jpeg
    IMG_3688.jpeg
    230.9 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_3689.jpeg
    IMG_3689.jpeg
    219.9 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_3690.jpeg
    IMG_3690.jpeg
    313.9 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_3697.jpeg
    IMG_3697.jpeg
    276.8 KB · Views: 12
Should have added she’s a gold laced Wyandotte. 10 months old. Ignore the messy bathroom. Scales aren’t really raised. Nothing compared to pics I have seen on the internet. The rest of the flock don’t seem to have any issues.

Last edited:
In the 8th picture down, that may be the start of bumblefoot on the toe. I don’t see any scaly leg mites or other problem. What treatment helped her? Does she hold the leg up to her body and hop, or put the leg down with some weight on it? Is she walking around? How high are your roosts? Can you describe more about the leg? She might have sprained it, or it might be nerve damage. Was she vaccinated for Mareks?

In the 8th picture down, that may be the start of bumblefoot on the toe. I don’t see any scaly leg mites or other problem. What treatment helped her? Does she hold the leg up to her body and hop, or put the leg down with some weight on it? Is she walking around? How high are your roosts? Can you describe more about the leg? She might have sprained it, or it might be nerve damage. Was she vaccinated for Mareks?
When I thought she was egg bound I gave her epsom salt soaks and calcium. She improved some but really started to improve when I gave her B complex. She walks on it fine. Just the first few steps are a bit awkward. When she’s standing to eat she’ll hold the leg up like she doesn’t want to put pressure on the heel.

One roost is about 2 and a half feet and the other one about a foot and a half off the floor. She is very reluctant to jump off the roost top roost and I usually would have to help her down. She was vaccinated for Mareks at the hatchery. No real signs of swelling other than the bump in the first picture but it really is only a bit bigger than the other. I’ve started the B complex again.

It’s possible she re-injured it when I reintroduced her to the coop after the first bout of lameness. I had her in a large pen in the coop for two weeks and when I let her out to try and reintroduce her she had a rough time of it.Every time I went to check on her she was hiding in the nest box in the coop the first day so I’m sure she was getting roughed up.

On day two when she ventured out in the run my rooster and two other hens ganged up on her and it got too rough so I pulled her out and brought her back inside until I can set up another coop in the spring for her.

It sounds like she could have an injury that is slowly healing, but she definitely is having a hard time the other chickens. With the pecking order problems, she might not have been getting enough to eat or drink as well. I hope that she recovers, but it may be diffiult to add her back. If she gets along with another meek hen, perhaps they can be together, and then go back as a pair.

It sounds like she could have an injury that is slowly healing, but she definitely is having a hard time the other chickens. With the pecking order problems, she might not have been getting enough to eat or drink as well. I hope that she recovers, but it may be diffiult to add her back. If she gets along with another meek hen, perhaps they can be together, and then go back as a pair.
Im beginning to think she just needs a little rest and relaxation. She definitely wasn’t eating or drinking much - if at all - when she was out there. It was one of the reasons I brought her in. That and I’m not good at tough love lol. I couldn’t watch her get picked on. I do have a couple Ameraucanas that are gentle and could make her good flock mates. They seemed to not be bothered by her when she was in the coop. For now, I have a house guest for a bit longer until I figure it out. She seems content and is softly chatting away whenever I go in the bathroom and she’s eating and drinking much much more.

Back
Top Bottom