Hen Mounting other Hen and pulling out feathers on head - how to stop?

yah my question is like wilds of PA...do you have a rooster?..my older hen who was top of the pecking order , back when i did not have a rooster displaied very maleish attitudes. I ended up getting a rooster whom they accepted right away with no fuss believe it or not..lol it was like they just knew and were relieved..wierd but true. My mother always told me if you want happy hens get em a rooster. So, after i got the rooster the older dominate hen stopped doing her manly activities. Oh yah another thing...none of my younger hens would lay eggs untill i got that rooster...maybe the older hen was trying to get it thru their heads to lay an egg already! lol;)

I suggest that you get a rooster to let all the girls know who's the "king of the mount".
wink.png

Rooster - I have been avoiding that option. First, I'm not sure if the crowing would disturb any neighbors - though I have listened to their loud barking dogs for many years at all times of the day and night. Second, I have always been afraid I would get a mean one that would harass the gals. Of course, if I have a hen that is doing the harassing then I guess that argument isn't valid. Guess I'll try the isolation and Rooster Booster options first and if they don't work, maybe a roo will be in our future.

I agree with the whys of not having a rooster. and, I Watched too many spurs headed my way as a child, I can live with out it. I also separated the dominate hen for three weeks. worked for three days.
I will try the rooster booster. Their backs-the lower hens- are getting bald.
roll.png

I want them all to be pretty! and happy and contented...and start giving up the broody fever too. (because they've pulled out the nesting feathers! It looks just awful! rangy-mangy.)
I WANT IT ALL!

had this problem with my hens, except just pulling feathers out it cut down when I went to free ranging them all day (think they were bored this last winter) we have a large pen for them but the dom hen was still pulling feathers out of the others just got a bantam rooster easier to handle if he starts to get out of control and the girls are settling down no more feather picking (thank you) since some of my girls have bald butts and need saddles. the rooster is doing his job on keeping the girls in line and has even got my last on pecking order hen up the ladder some and she is doing great. maybe a bantam roo is the answer not as loud as some full size rooster's I would check and make sure you can have a rooster then get a bantam one and see how it goes good luck,

I have considered a bantam rooster, encouraging to know he is working for you. I also have nightmares about my grandmother's big rooster chasing me with those long spurs. For some reason, my dominant hen only seems to pick on the #2 hen, the others only get a peck if they get out of line. I can't let them out all day, but I could increase the evening recess by a couple of hours. I guess even a big run can get boring day after day.

Back
Top Bottom