Hen not acting right....

FritzChicks

In the Brooder
Jan 10, 2017
I have a 1.5 year old hen not acting right. When I went down to the coop this morning she was laying I the corner. I brought her inside to monitor her. She is drinking but not eating. Her crown is mildly beat up, I acne find no issues with her wings and I checked her vent but I am not sure what too look for. She just seems mildly lethargic and wants too late down and sleep. Does anyone have any ideas what might be going on or any suggestions on what I could do too often help her feel better?

I just posted pics with some more information. Her normally feed is scratch grains, cracked corn and laying pellets along with scraps from the house, all food scraps go to the chickens, but we haven't given them anything out of the ordinary. I tried to make her scrambled eggs because my girls love those and she didn't touch them either.
Layer feed is for actively laying birds only. If she's not laying, she should not be eating it. Scratch grains and cracked corn are not complete feeds, and should be given sparingly. She looks like she could be molting. Her issue may be nutritional. Electrolytes and vitamins in the water and unmedicated starter are good basics for helping a sickly bird.

Hello,

You mentioned your hen had a pretty beat up Comb....

is she able to walk correctly?

no swaying? She keeps her head up pretty well? No swinging of the head or "floppy neck?"

I had a polish pullet with similar symptoms, she had a head injury.....

she wouldn't eat or drink by herself.

Feel around her head gently for any abnormality in her head structure, opposed to another chicken of her breed. Make sure nothing is out of place.

Hope this helps you identify whatever is going on, and a big prayer to her getting better.

We do not have a vet anywhere near us that works on chickens sadly. I am just hoping whatever it is, that it passes. She seems fine on the outside and her poo is pretty normal... I don't know what to think

Could you try feeding her natural yogurt with a syringe? The probiotic in it might perk her up. Olive oil is good too.

Keep confident my lovely x

Hey FritzChicks Welcome to BYC, sorry that the circumstances in which you join us are not nicer.

First up, I am not an expert when it comes to what ails chickens but I do know that the symptoms you have described can be a multitude of things and basically the symptoms are her way of dealing with whatever ails her.

To assist those more experienced in chicken disease and recovery, there are a few questions that spring to mind.

First up, are you able to post pictures of her? Some of her comb so we can see what “beat up” is and some of her posture.

Any signs of lice or mites?
Have you wormed her recently or at all?
When did she last lay?
What is her normal feed?
How are her poops looking? Normal, runny or non existent?
How does her crop feel? Full, empty, hard, squishy?
Where is she usually housed? Current climate?

This is Liza and this is pretty much how she has been acting. Laying around. She took a little nap on this towel yesterday. She walks around fine when she does walk, no limping so I am pretty sure her legs are fine.

She is very mildly beat up, I blame the rooster but I know that they will beat up on her if she is bleeding so I decided to pull her out because I was not sure that was not what was going on, or part of it.

This is her poo from this afternoon.... sorry guys if this grosses you out but I have no idea how to explain it even.
She was acting completely fine up until today and I am not sure if she laid yesterday or not. We have 27 hens and are getting an average of 10 eggs a day and nothing has seemed off until now.

She is just laying in her cage, still have not eaten, just drinking water. Normally if we had brought her in the house she would have ran around like a crazy chicken. She is not the most social girl ever but as you can see my son is laying next to her in the one picture and she doesn't care. She stayed there for about an hour while we walked around her and did our own thing and she slept on and off.
She has not been wormed lately, I honestly have never actually wormed them, just given them garlic every few months as a natural wormer and I have never noticed worms before.

I just posted pics with some more information. Her normally feed is scratch grains, cracked corn and laying pellets along with scraps from the house, all food scraps go to the chickens, but we haven't given them anything out of the ordinary. I tried to make her scrambled eggs because my girls love those and she didn't touch them either.

Back
Top Bottom