Hen not covering eggs.

brooster

Songster
12 Years
Jun 14, 2007
northwest Ohio
I was checking on my broody and noticed that some eggs were sticking out from under her, i was worried they had chilled. Are they ok or should i be concerned? I was thinking is that how she keeps them at the right temp, if it gets too hot she colls them off a bit. I hope...
fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif
hmm.png

I have a banty hen thats broody for the first time. But she had the same thing going on. Maybe your hen is sitting on too many eggs? I know my banty is stealing eggs from the other chickens after they lay. I had to put X's on the original ones she started laying on, other wise she'd be setting forever! lol. When I was marking the eggs she had some sticking out sideways and they were still very warm. I would think it'd be ok.
Good luck with your broody, it's soo cute!
love.gif

If you have any reservations remove 1 or 2, the hens do roll and shift them around often during the day, I too think you may be just fine.

AL

Mine is doing the same thing. I pulled one egg out and put it in the bator and tucked another one underneath her. I'm guessing they know better than we do, but it's my first time so I'm clueless.

I had similar problems as both of you. If the eggs get chilled for too long, the egg probably won't hatch. But it is hard to tell how long they've been out. Hens do leave the nest to eat, poop, drink etc. I also learned to mark the original eggs. You can candle them after about a week to see if they are viable.

This is the reason you should pen broodies alone. Other hens will add to the clutch and the fresh eggs will crowd out the started eggs. The first time you candle should be at day seven. That`s the time to eliminate the eggs that aren`t viable. Learn from this and don`t hesitate to pen broodies alone and don`t overcrowd the nest.

I like keeping my broody hen with the flock. Sometimes the rooster or another hen sits on the nest, allowing momma to get a nice break. It is easy enough to mark the eggs and remove the freshly layed ones.

I believe she and eggs are fine My hen is on 4 eggs and I have noticed her due this also. I have set and watched her and she shifts them quite a bit. Its funny to see the shuffle they do under them when they are putting them back into place. It's amazing how they just know how to take care of their little eggies.

Back
Top Bottom