hen not eating/drinking

CrazyBirdLadyUSA

Chirping
Jan 31, 2023
I have a 4 year old golden comet hen. (Lifespan is typically 3-5 years)

She had sour crop and I successfully treated it. No more infection, weird smells or drooling liquid. I was hoping once treated she’d go back to her old self, but she is drinking almost no water and eating only sporadically if at all.

I gave her scrambled eggs yesterday and she fully ate 2 eggs as well as some rice.

Today I presented her with eggs and she’s not very interested, she ate a bit of them. she is just scratching at the bottom of her crate pecking mindlessly at little bits of stuff. She doesn’t seem interested in the chicken feed pellets either.

And I don’t know how she’s even still alive because she must be insanely dehydrated; I’ve provided her with fresh water daily and she barely drinks anything. Almost nothing.

I’ve been giving her coconut oil the past couple days hoping that might help a possible crop impaction, as she is also sometimes wiggling her neck back and forth as if to adjust, but this doesn’t seem to have done much, because she’s just not interested in food or water.

What do I do? She is 4 years old and her golden comet sisters passed a year ago at age 3 - I believe of mareks.

I don’t want to euthanize if there’s a way to help her but I also don’t want her to suffer in starvation and dehydration.

Last edited:
Have you checked to see if her crop is emptying over night? Check first thing in morning before she’s eating or drink anything

Do you have a set of kitchen scales that you could get a weight on her to gauge how much she is weighing daily? You can also hold her while weighing yourself then subtract your weight to get a rough weight. How does her crop feel in early morning—empty, full, firm, doughy, or puffy? Check it daily, and especially if you see her adjusting her crop. Is she still laying eggs or has she stopped awhile ago? Is her lower belly enlarged or fuller than normal? Chickens don’t drink as much in the winter cold months, but she should be drinking some especially after she eats the egg. Will she eat some mushy wet chicken feed? I will make the scrambled egg watery and soft too.

Back
Top Bottom