Hen not feeling well, need help diagnosing.

Kuntry Klucker

Crowing
12 Years
Jun 9, 2010
Tennesee Smoky Mts.
Hi All,

I have a BO hen that is acting like she does not feel well.
Symptoms:
- hanging around in the pen while the others are out playing in the yard.
- Eyes closed like she is taking a nap
- Wings kind of dragging.
- Looks like she does not have much energy.
- She over all looks like she does not feel wall at all.

I see now visible problems like wounds or anything like that.

Does anyone have any idea what she my be suffering from?

Thanks

You need to examine her to hopefully figure out what’s going on. Look her over for lice. Check her at night in her little house with a flashlight for mites. Is there ventilation in her coop?
Feel her breast/chest. Is there a good amount of muscle or do you feel her keel/breast bone sticking out sharply? If it is pronounced, she is losing body condition and this may have been going on for awhile. Check her crop (bulge on upper right chest). It should be full before bed and empty first thing in the morning. Inspect her vent. Is it clean and not swollen or red? Feel her abdomen (fluffy butt area) below her vent and between her legs. Is it bloated at all? How does her poop look? Does she have an odor coming from her mouth or vent?
Also, what does she eat? Does she have fresh water at all times? What is her house like and where does she hang out during the day? If she eats greens and bugs, or anything other than a crumble or layer feed, she needs grit.
Does she lay eggs? When was the last egg? Does she get oyster shell on the side?
Really anything could be wrong, but if you can answer as many of these questions as possible, maybe we can help you figure it out so you can help her. It could be an illness, but it could even be something like malnutrition if you are new to chickens and didn’t know what to feed her. I can tell you care about her and sincerely hope we can help you get her on the right path.

caf.gif
Is anyone out there...

Back
Top Bottom