Hen not getting any better

coltgrizzz

Songster
Aug 24, 2018
New Jersey
I posted on here a few days ago about one of my hens that had stopped eating/drinking, laying, was lethargic, and was having watery yellow stool. This was a few days ago, she is still the same today. I was told to give dewormer and corid which i have done for three days now with no improvement. I’m absolutely at a loss here as to what to do.

Attachments

• 31F9F9AD-01C4-4983-9CA2-553868E7CCF2.jpeg
    31F9F9AD-01C4-4983-9CA2-553868E7CCF2.jpeg
    981 KB · Views: 17
  • 57469282-0D80-4D7A-97B4-935A52919C5F.jpeg
    57469282-0D80-4D7A-97B4-935A52919C5F.jpeg
    821.9 KB · Views: 3
  • D1FCEE61-F23D-4087-A2B2-F3CDA93CCBA6.jpeg
    D1FCEE61-F23D-4087-A2B2-F3CDA93CCBA6.jpeg
    519.6 KB · Views: 3
  • 15FE454E-D55E-428B-8D13-521B885E1300.jpeg
    15FE454E-D55E-428B-8D13-521B885E1300.jpeg
    402.8 KB · Views: 3
Hello! Can you force feed her with some black soldier fly larvae? Also I would give her calcium citrate, and undiluted nutri drench. Dip her beak in it to force her to drink. Then if you can get antibiotics I would dose her for at least five days. Aquamox is what I've used successfully.

Is it possible she's molting?

Aw, poor baby.... She looks so miserable...

The only other thought I have is maybe try antibiotics, but she really doesn't look good.
She’s been like this for 5 days now i think. Her crop is a bit squishy in the morning but she doesn’t have the sour crop smell and nothing was release from her crop when i tried to empty her :/

Hello! Can you force feed her with some black soldier fly larvae? Also I would give her calcium citrate, and undiluted nutri drench. Dip her beak in it to force her to drink. Then if you can get antibiotics I would dose her for at least five days. Aquamox is what I've used successfully.

Is it possible she's molting?
I’m not quite sure where to get soldier fly larvae but i can head to the pet store tomorrow to see if they have any. I’m just worried since i’m giving corid that giving her vitamins would defeat the purpose no? I don’t think she’s molting either, she hasn’t lost any feathers and doesn’t show any signs of growing new ones :/

I’m not quite sure where to get soldier fly larvae but i can head to the pet store tomorrow to see if they have any. I’m just worried since i’m giving corid that giving her vitamins would defeat the purpose no? I don’t think she’s molting either, she hasn’t lost any feathers and doesn’t show any signs of growing new ones :/
She appears to be very ill based on those pics.
:(

If she hasn't improved I would def force feed her her favorite things, I have black soldier larvae on hand, I also dip their beaks into raw yolk and nutri drench. She really needs some dense nutrition.

You're right, don't give vitamins with Corid. Make sure there is no other water available but the Corid water. Also, never attempt to vomit a chicken, they can aspirate and die.

I posted on here a few days ago about one of my hens that had stopped eating/drinking, laying, was lethargic, and was having watery yellow stool. This was a few days ago, she is still the same today. I was told to give dewormer and corid which i have done for three days now with no improvement. I’m absolutely at a loss here as to what to do.
You were thinking about treating with Corid, did you do that?
Have you dewormed?
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...ll-no-idea-what’s-wrong.1551062/post-26210284

As mentioned in your other thread, likely more is going on. Your hen looks very unwell.

If her crop is squishy in the mornings, then begin treating as sour crop. Crop issues are often a symptom of an underlying condition. Reproductive problems like EYP, Cancer, Salpingitis, etc. can be common in laying hens.

I'd work on hydration and treating the crop symptoms. Encourage her to eat her normal nutritionally balanced feed. You can offer it wet or dry. Bits of cooked egg can be given to further her interest.

If you've started the Corid, finish that treatment too. Deworming and antibiotics may also be part of your supportive care plan for this hen. While not of these are cures, they may make her feel better for a period of time. https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

If vet care is an option, that's always best.

Back
Top Bottom