Hen Not Going Into Coop at Night

jules1329

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jun 26, 2012
South-Central Kentucky
I have four hens and a rooster. Normally, they put themselves "to bed" every night at dusk. Tonight, however, one of the hens was missing when I went to shut the coop door. I found her under a bush next to the house. This is where three of the four hens always lay their eggs. One of the others lays in the coop. There was no egg from my little red hen today, and she wasn't setting on one. What's up, do you think? I'm really, really new to this.

She may be going broody, but she's my sweetest girl -- and the lowest ranking hen -- so she didn't fuss. But I did have to make her go into the coop and she didn't want to roost with the others.

What ever happened with your hen? I have a young Rhode Island that just started sleeping outside. She's still within her cage & on a perch, but she slept outside for three nights now. I ended up putting her in last night because she was getting soaked from a thunderstorm. She's also stopped laying eggs. We don't have a rooster, just four hens. Was wondering what you figured out. Thanks.

I didn't really figure it out, but she hasn't laid since. She's perfectly healthy, and we've searched all over for a hidden nest, but haven't found anything. Oddly enough, though, she appears to be competing for Top Chick spot. She's definitely moved up in the pecking order. Strange little dinosaurs.

Last edited:
Thanks for the update. My girl seems to be perfectly healthy otherwise as well. Maybe it is just a phase she's going through. By the way, I think it is hilarious that you called them dinosaurs, my husband & I say that ALL THE TIME! :)

I call mine dinosaurs too!
My hen went completely rouge a few weeks ago and disappeared into the woods, shes back now and fine. But it took her a few days to get used to the new coop setup. Then they both started sleeping on the perch instead of the house and then she stopped sleeping in the house. And now they both sleep in the house now. I think they just go through phases and pick different places to sleep.

I am also having a problem getting my girls to go in their coop at night! They used to go right in at dusk now they want to roost on the roof, even in the pouring down rain. I have been going out every night & plucking them off the roof & putting them on the ladder then they will go right in. I have been doing this for 3 weeks! Anyone have any suggestions to get them to go in the coop on their own?

Mine went through a phase like that where it was both of them not sleeping in the house, then one wasn't, then they both went in. I used to have to go find them in the flower bed and put them up, but that was when I let them out of the coop and they didn't come back at dusk. Are your chickens cooped up or do they free range and just go in a house at night?
I don't really know how to get them to go in the house by themselves, but as long as they're cooped up at night in their run that is safe from predators, I wouldn't worry. Mine sleep on the perch on hot nights and as long as the gate it shut, I usually don't worry.
I know thats not really much help, but you're not alone with the having to put them away at night. I do it often.

They have been free ranging all summer (got them a week old at the end of March, and was able to spend the summer with them, as I am a teacher) & after a few times of showing them how to go in at dusk, they did it alone. Then, suddenly, one stopped. After a week of sleeping on her own (still within the caged run), she went in tonight. It makes me happy to see her beside her sisters again. She's also laying well, after a abnormal week. I guess she really was just going through some sort of phase. My heart is definitely at ease, seeing her back to her old self again!
Now, I feel like a mom leaving her kids to go back to work (I should mention here that I do not have any children). I am heartbroken at having to leave them to go back to my classroom, even though I truly do love my job. I have dogs & cats, but I feel like my bond with my clucks, especially the one I've been discussing, is something different. I will certainly miss my days of being followed through the yard, mornings on the porch with a chicken on my lap, and evenings hunting for crickets...until next summer!

Back
Top Bottom