Hen not laying

Have a question for you too did you raise these birds from chicks or did you purchase them this size? Reason for asking there's been a lot of people who claim they are younger birds when the reason they sold them is because they stopped laying. You can tell if this is the case by checking their legs if they are pale that's a good sign if they are yellow they either stopped laying or they haven't started yet. As for the feathers falling out it could mean the bird is in molt which could mean why she's not laying or she could have mites. I would check her feathers and see if you see any creepy crawlers
As for the squat I'll take a picture tomorrow of what it looks like so you have an idea of what to look for!

Hello, I was wondering if anyone could help here. This hen does not lay, never did since I had it (2 weeks). Her comb looks pale compared to the ones who are laying. Could she be still to young? Will her comb get redder with age? Or is she just unhealthy right now?

Thanks

Interesting topic you’ve got here. If all goes according to plan, she should start laying eggs around 18 weeks. However, things happen and occasionally you get a hen that has a genetic condition that is going to prevent her from laying eggs.

The reason that her comb and waddles are pale and smaller than the rest of your hens is because she is not laying eggs. This is an easy way to determine if your hens are actively laying eggs or to tell which one isn’t. When a hen begins to lay eggs, her comb and waddles will get larger and the blood flow will increase which causes them to be a darker red color.

When those hens molt or stop laying eggs, the combs and waddles will fade to pink or a pale red color and will also shrink in size. When she returns to laying eggs, the combs and waddles will change again. The pale, shriveled color isn’t an indication of health or illness. From the picture you’ve included, she looks pretty healthy. She appears to be moving around and the feathers look well-cared for. I would not worry about her health. Just enjoy her company!

Back
Top Bottom