Hen not laying.

jveef1212

Chirping
7 Years
Feb 11, 2012
I have three beautiful Orpingtons and one is definitely the lead chicken, however, she is the only one that hasn't stared laying! The smallest girl started about a mont ago and the second one about a week later. But Penelope still hasn't. Also, when her buddy Betty is in the nest, Penelope wanders around the yard squacking until Betty makes her "announcement" and finally joins her. I guess my question is: if they're the same age, shouldn't Penelope be laying by now? Also, is she really missing Betty?

welcome-byc.gif

She may just be slower to mature than the others,and as far as missing the other chicken,sounds to me like she is warming up her own egg song!

My flock mistress (also a BO) is one of our oldest chickens and one of the latest ones to lay. She has never been a regular layer as far as we know, only giving us an egg every few days (but it's winter, too, and we don't use supplemental lighting). There's some stuff going on with her right now that we're trying to sort through....... she is a;sp the biggest out of the flock, although our continuing plucker (another BO, and one of the youngest ones) is a close second in size.

I wouldn't worry about it- Butternut was one who took her sweet time; most of the others had been laying for a month or more before she finally gave us one.

Back
Top Bottom