lilzoe5

Chirping
Jul 26, 2021
Hi one of my hens right eye recently been closed and is swelling. I suspect one of my other hens pecked it as I checked inside the eye but didn't see anything stuck, but seems her eye is hurting. When I open her eyelids, I can see she's moving her eye & blinking, so seems functional. Occasionally she will open it halfway when running in the field.

She looks interested in eating/drinking but when she goes down to eat, it looks like she flinches towards her closed eye and ends up not eating (possibly due to eye hurting). She's moving around & comb is looking red and healthy. Her other eye seems fine & no issues on her left eye. She is a little fatigue looking but when I run up to her she does start running and walking normally.

What I'm doing so far:
- Sperated her in a quiet hutch so she's not being harassed by the flock

- Manually opening mouth & feeding soft foods with a small spoon & giving her liquids (water, electrolytes, vitamins) manually with a dropper syringe.

- For the eye, I have been using Vetricyn Eye Drops, Neosporin Ointment, Saline water (boiled water with salt). I been applying those by using a dropper and using my fingers with gloves and gently pry open her eye & apply those solutions.

Is there anything else I need to do or any other tips to help her speed back into recovery or am I doing something wrong?

This is day 3 of her eye being closed & been treating it since yesterday. How long does this usually take to heal, or is the swelling too much where she can't be healed? Looking for any and all advice!!

Attached are pics of both eyes.

Attachments

• 86E1BC31-DA9E-44B4-8F73-34934BCE7781.jpeg
    86E1BC31-DA9E-44B4-8F73-34934BCE7781.jpeg
    563.9 KB · Views: 55
  • 48D41F3E-74A8-4F94-8037-98FD35B7F9CE.jpeg
    48D41F3E-74A8-4F94-8037-98FD35B7F9CE.jpeg
    565.2 KB · Views: 14
Is she unable to eat/drink on her own?

Any lice or mites on her?

I'd continue to rinse the eye and apply ointment in the eye as suggested in the other thread where posts were made.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...g-wrong-with-eye.1565504/page-3#post-26770530
Yeah past two days she wasn't eating or drinking on her own. It looks like she was trying (lowering neck down to try and eat) but then she would do a flick motion and then move her head back up.

However, just few hours ago we gave her a bowl with bread pieces mixed in water and vitamins (she loves soft wet bread) and she was eating it by herself! Granted it still looks like she had a little trouble seeing where the food was as she had to adjust her angle when going down to eat, but nonetheless she did end up eating on her own which is progress!!

In terms of mites/lice she didn't seem to have any. But I will spray her with a mite & lice killer tomorrow just in case.

Thank you for your reply, will keep updating if anything changes

Yeah past two days she wasn't eating or drinking on her own. It looks like she was trying (lowering neck down to try and eat) but then she would do a flick motion and then move her head back up.

However, just few hours ago we gave her a bowl with bread pieces mixed in water and vitamins (she loves soft wet bread) and she was eating it by herself! Granted it still looks like she had a little trouble seeing where the food was as she had to adjust her angle when going down to eat, but nonetheless she did end up eating on her own which is progress!!

In terms of mites/lice she didn't seem to have any. But I will spray her with a mite & lice killer tomorrow just in case.

Thank you for your reply, will keep updating if anything changes
I'm came across this regarding your chickens eye.
Any update? Was it an infection, lice, mites, mareks? Thx

I'm came across this regarding your chickens eye.
Any update? Was it an infection, lice, mites, mareks? Thx
That poster hasn't been on BYC in a couple of months, so you may not get a reply. If you have a question about one of your own birds, you can start a new thread.

Also,
:welcome

Back
Top Bottom