Hen or Roo

whysperxx

In the Brooder
Mar 30, 2016
Bradenton Florida

Here we go again, had 4 chicks last year 3 were roos and couldn't bring myself to separate the last pair (hen and roo) so rehomed them together.....for Christmas I was given 8 more silkie chicks they are now about 3-4 months old.. so I am starting the process of trying to weed out the roos as I cant have them in my community. I am pretty sure this guy is a roo based on his size and looks like hes getting streamers...I hate for him to go if he is because hes one of 2 paints that I received. unfortunately I wasnt there to pick these chicks out they let my 7 year old grandson do it lol ....they were purchased from a breeder of show birds ....what do you think?

Due to all the cute fuzz, can't really see anything. I can maybe make out a red comb and wattles already, but you probably know they can be hard to tell sex at that age. You might need to wait another month or so.

Yeah, I'm getting real roo vibes too. The red wattles are a real give away (my grown female Silkies don't really have wattles).

Tallish stance...head dress is more female, but that could be simply because there is so much of it.

Strikingly handsome fellow. Wish you were in my neck of the woods, I'd be tempted to relieve you of him.

LofMc

They are beauties no matter what. Love silkies! I have a roo that is big bodied like that. He looks like the abominable snowman when he runs, or a yeti.

Well he turned out to be a roo so far that's four roos out of 8 chicks...will be posting picks soon of the 4 remaining 2 are splash and I am having a real hard time figuring them out.

Back
Top Bottom