Hen or Rooster? (Adult)

blackfishfin

Chirping
May 16, 2019
Alright, I've come across sort of a weird chicken problem. It usually wasn't important before now, but I am really itching to know what gender one of my chickens is. Their name is Fire/Flame. They are smaller than our other Cochin, Bucky, but have a large waddle and pointed tips on their hackle and sickle feathers. They also crow, but never mate with any of our hens. Especially in quarantine, I have been outside a majority of my time, either in the garden or sitting on the porch and I have only seen him mate with once in four days. Bucky and One-Eyed Jack, on the other hand, I have seen mate many, many, many times. We haven't caught them laying eggs and I don't think that they do. They have no spurs. They are also missing one of their toes on both their feet. That might be useful information to see if there is something wrong with them, but doesn't apply to what gender they are. This chicken is about a year old. We are struggling to find out what gender they are.

Male Traits Displayed:
♡ Large waddle and comb (smaller than Bucky's)
♡ Pointed tips on feathers
♡ Crow
♡ Don't lay eggs?

Female Traits Displayed:
♡ No spurs
♡ Does not mate with hens. If they do it is a very rare occurrence.
♡ Smaller than Bucky
♡ Wings not covered by saddle
♡ Lay eggs?

I would also like to mention that we originally thought that they were female because their crow was so awkward compared to Bucky's and still is. Sometimes they do not even finish crowing because their voice gives out or something. Honestly, I love them and I don't really care but I just want to make sure that there is nothing wrong with them! Perhaps really bad breeding or a disorder? I thought this because they are also missing two toes.

Alright, I've come across sort of a weird chicken problem. It usually wasn't important before now, but I am really itching to know what gender one of my chickens is. Their name is Fire/Flame. They are smaller than our other Cochin, Bucky, but have a large waddle and pointed tips on their hackle and sickle feathers. They also crow, but never mate with any of our hens. Especially in quarantine, I have been outside a majority of my time, either in the garden or sitting on the porch and I have only seen him mate with once in four days. Bucky and One-Eyed Jack, on the other hand, I have seen mate many, many, many times. We haven't caught them laying eggs and I don't think that they do. They have no spurs. They are also missing one of their toes on both their feet. That might be useful information to see if there is something wrong with them, but doesn't apply to what gender they are. This chicken is about a year old. We are struggling to find out what gender they are.

Male Traits Displayed:
♡ Large waddle and comb (smaller than Bucky's)
♡ Pointed tips on feathers
♡ Crow
♡ Don't lay eggs?

Female Traits Displayed:
♡ No spurs
♡ Does not mate with hens. If they do it is a very rare occurrence.
♡ Smaller than Bucky
♡ Wings not covered by saddle
♡ Lay eggs?

I would also like to mention that we originally thought that they were female because their crow was so awkward compared to Bucky's and still is. Sometimes they do not even finish crowing because their voice gives out or something. Honestly, I love them and I don't really care but I just want to make sure that there is nothing wrong with them! Perhaps really bad breeding or a disorder? I thought this because they are also missing two toes.
Hens can have Spurs. Roosters don't lay eggs, and crow. Hens lay eggs and don't crow. So if your other chickens are crowing their all roosters.

Hens can have Spurs. Roosters don't lay eggs, and crow. Hens lay eggs and don't crow. So if your other chickens are crowing their all roosters.

Not entirely true. Not all hens lay, some never lay due to internal problems and some stop due to age. Also some hens do crow, or make a crow like noise rather. Especially in flock that do not have a rooster.

This is of my little guy. Pardon the quality. They were valiantly trying to eat the lens on my phone.

Attachments

• Chicken Body.jpg
    Chicken Body.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 8
  • Fire Cone.jpg
    Fire Cone.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 8
  • Fire Face.jpg
    Fire Face.jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 8
  • Fire Feathers.jpg
    Fire Feathers.jpg