Hen Pecking At Chicks

cocoaskin

In the Brooder
10 Years
Apr 20, 2009
I have four baby chicks, 2 female and 2 males. Here are some pics of them.. I dont really know the age of them because I bought them from a feed store. Here's the problem. When I take the chicks out to explore, my Hen runs after them and trys to peck them, and on several occasions she has. Any suggestions? What should I do? Thanks.

welcome-byc.gif

I can't see your pictures, how developed are your chicks? Still fuzzy? Feathered but small?

The younger they are the more protection & confinement they need. And they need their own grow food until they're 18-20 weeks old.

I keep my tiny chicks in a brooder box for a few weeks, then put them in a bottomless cage on the grass during the day. I don't let them out with the adults until they're a few months old, with some good feathering & size to them. Some adults will just give chicks a peck to let them know who's the boss, others will not stop until they draw blood or worse.

I wish you success with your feathered family!

You have to protect the chicks and keep them separated. It is natural behavior for your hen to peck at them. When they are about the same size you can let them free range together and get used to each other.

Back
Top Bottom