Hen prolapse: Does this look like improvement?

EleventhHour

In the Brooder
Apr 15, 2023
Hi, I am dealing with my first prolapse, and thanks to the post by @azygous I have a sensible protocol that I have been following...I just don't know if it's working and am getting discouraged.

I have a ~4 year old hen who has not laid in well over a year present me with this prolapse 9 days ago. When discovered, I bathed her and a length of membrane washed off of her. No sign of egg or other "stuff" but that may have been "discovered" by my other hens before I saw the prolapse.

I bathe her rear daily then I clean with Vetericyn. I applied honey/sugar and hydrocortisone cream 2-3x daily until 5 days ago, when I stopped the honey/sugar and started 600mg/day calcium citrate and added antibiotic cream. I also stopped trying to replace the prolapse as she was pushing back so hard. She is crated indoors away from the flock.

She has been leaking urates constantly, with small poops. I have not noticed a cecal poop since this started. Alert, eating and drinking though not as voraciously as usual. She has felt better in recent days so I have let her have outside time in her own run to get some exercise and hopefully get things moving.

She had a scab/crust on the prolapse, but I was able to remove about 2/3rds of it today. Tissue underneath looks OK...

Should I continue the calcium citrate until the prolapse resolves (if it does)? Or give it a rest after a couple more days as not to harm her kidneys? Should I stay the course with the current treatment? I have not been giving antibiotics.

IMG_7673.jpg

Day 1 above
IMG_7674.jpg

Membrane found on day 1

IMG_7758.jpg

Today (day 9), above, post bath. Most of that white crusty chunk peeled off today but about 1/3 remains. I trimmed a lot of feathers back here because of the urates leakage. She seems much more leaky after the crust removal.

As I recall, the longest duration of a prolapse in my flock was nine days before resolving. Yes, keep up the calcium citrate until the prolapse retracts. Calcium is the most important tool in resolving it.

When a prolpase continues this long, it means some material from the egg collapse is still inside and needs to comes out. The calcium promotes contractions to move that material. If you can afford an avian vet or any vet that will treat a chicken, the vet can give her a shot of oxytocin and along with the calcium, it would enhance the contractions even more to push out the blockage. A vet can also give her a shot of antibiotic.

If you haven't started her on an antibiotic, it would be wise. If she seems to be getting weaker, she may need a little sugar in her water to elevate her glucose. Offer her some egg or other special food to keep her strong to fight this through.

Calcium has to be given in quite large amounts over many months to become toxic.

Thank you for your words of encouragement. She has really been pretty perky, you'd never know she was ill until she turns around and her rear end looks like a disaster. She got a little free range time today, and now thinks her crate in the garage is her new personal coop to return to. She only seems uncomfortable when I spray the Vetericyn on or apply hydrocortisone to the prolapse; they must sting a bit, or are cold!

Another piece of the crust came off today...I don't think there's much if anything left, just protruding tissue. I have been giving her a few drops of NutriDrench in her water for some extra support.

Nearest vet that might treat her is the veterinary teaching hospital about an hour away. I'm not sure I'm to that point yet, but am willing to get her started on some antibiotics. Do you have any recommendations (I thought I read something about using fish antibiotics) or should I consult a vet?

Thought I'd follow up, my hen has finally recovered from the prolapse, after two full weeks of care. After the crust came off and after a good bath, I tried pushing the tissue back in and it stayed about 80% in?! I returned her to her crate for a couple hours, then gave her a couple hours outside with a friend hen. When I brought her back in, the prolapse was still inside and she hadn't leaked any urates! She spent another ~36 hours in the crate so I could ensure the tissue stayed in, then I returned her to my small flock outdoors. So far, no further problems.

Back
Top Bottom