hen puffed out, standing still, not eating or drinking? please help

What calcium have you given her?

The best way to feel for an egg is to press your finger into the vent. Wear gloves and use lubricant. You can soak her in warm water with Epsom salt, first. @casportpony has a very good thread about egg binding.

I wouldn't rule out the coccidiosis. I've had many chickens get it and none of them ever had the bloody stools. It's just an overload of "bad" protozoa in the gut, and is treated with corid in the water. If she's not drinking on her own, you may have to use a syringe.
Thank u too camping

Thank you, I'll try the Tractor supply in a neighboring town - hopefully they have it. I haven't noticed her drink since this began, but this morning when she was up and active for a few minutes she ate a few bites of oatmeal. I was so excited that she was walking and eating - but within minutes she was back to standing still.

Yes she does seem to be standing kind of wide, but not heavier feeling than usual. I did buy a dropper to give her electrolyte water but I couldn't get her to drink it, but I will try again in the morning. Thanks.

Thank you all for the insight and ideas. I don't have a photo but she is sleeping now, so I'll pray for her to be better by morning, and if not I'll get back to trying to help her recover. I appreciate all the quick and helpful replies.

When they get this sick, the digestive system can start to shut down.  She needs water more than anything. Try the corid tomorrow (or now if you have some).  You can find it at the feed store.  If coccidiosis is the problem, she will start getting better very quickly. 

If she has another problem, and you force feed her, it may hurt more than help.  Diagnosing the problem first is important.

Research egg yolk peritonitis and see if you can rule it out as a problem. 
Research egg binding to see if it might be that.  If you think so, try the calcium glutonate. 

Also, if you can post same pictures of her, it might help.  Especially showing how she is standing.  Can you tell if her legs look spread apart?  Is she particularly heavy?

x2 on force feeding. I mostly meant for water and meds.

Well this morning when I went in the room to check on her, she was standing up normal and even eating and "talking" a little..so I brought her outside to move around and she was running and digging and seemed to be just fine, so I let the others out to free range with her to make sure there'd be no picking on her and everyone was fine, acting normal. Although now she's back to standing in that position (I attached a photo) in the run. Should I let her stay out there, or bring her back inside? This is so confusing because at random moments (mostly first thing in the morning), she seems fine..and then it's back to standing still :-/ a part of me thinks I'm worrying too much and should let her be, but a part of me thinks I'm missing something.

Well this morning when I went in the room to check on her, she was standing up normal and even eating and "talking" a little..so I brought her outside to move around and she was running and digging and seemed to be just fine, so I let the others out to free range with her to make sure there'd be no picking on her and everyone was fine, acting normal. Although now she's back to standing in that position (I attached a photo) in the run. Should I let her stay out there, or bring her back inside? This is so confusing because at random moments (mostly first thing in the morning), she seems fine..and then it's back to standing still :-/ a part of me thinks I'm worrying too much and should let her be, but a part of me thinks I'm missing something.

If she's puffed up and standing still then she doesn't feel good. I would bring her back in.

No photo posted. Is her tail droopy? Are her wings dragging, or down slightly? That posture could indicate egg binding.

Did you search for that egg binding thread? It's about a peahen, but the advice is the same. It has a wealth of extremely valuable information.

Edit: I see the photo now. :)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom