Hen putting leaves, grass and feathers on her back??!!

I have several who pick up bits and pieces in the nest box and toss a few on their backs, but Free Bird, one of my EE's really tucks feathers, wood shavings, etc. whatever she can find, in between her feathers all over her back. She doesn't appear to be broody at this point. I just think that some of them are a little closer than others, to their jungle instincts. It's just camo.

I think it's hilarious! It must date back to when they were much much smaller in prehistoric times and they were able to hide effectively under a few leaves. Or maybe they were much much bigger, but better at disguise. My hen is SO bad at it, it's funny....She certainly can't tuck things between her feathers and go around festooned in her finery!

Thanks for the advise about breaking her broodiness....I'll try the wire under her and see how we get on (I'm too soft hearted though, I'll more likely give in and get her some fertile eggs!)
smile.png

I know this is an old thread but it is the only one I can find that talks about it. My EE is decorating herself right now but she looks quite mad running around almost frantic like. I think it funny to watch, but wanted to make sure she didn't have something wrong. Glad to know she is not the only priss priss out there

I just had to look this behavior up. This morning my Wyandotte and Ameracauna hens are very vocal and running around the yard, in and out of the coop area. The Ameracauna hen I noticed the other day was putting hay and shaving on her back when she was in the nest box now today she is doing the same thing with leaves in the yard. This is a new behavior. They will be 1 on April 1st. The Wyandotte hen went broody last fall them molted then the Ameracauna hen also molted, both recently started laying again. I hope no one goes broody again and my neighbors like the noise they are making today. :)

I, too have a cochin who is decorating herself and also throwing stuff in the nest box. She just got over being broody a few weeks ago. Hope she is not headed that way again. She got to raise 3 chicks and was a wonderful mom.

My RIR (production flavor) who just started laying is also doing that, but I hear they are not so bad to go broody. (fingers crossed)
hu.gif

I have a couple doing it. One pulls it out of the tiny coop nest boxes while standing on the floor. Another right out in the middle of the big coop (little one is inside the big one now) and does it with whatever is near her.

But none of them have ever been broody. At least not while I have had them. Only one that has had just gotten her hidden clutch lain when I found it. The hawk has killed her since then.

One of my Isa Brown hens likes to put shavings on top of her while shes in her nesting box. Last night she was doing this and my Cochin rooster was helping her put them on her back!

At first he was outside the box, realized she had them on her back and he started picking them off.
Seemed like she got mad, started putting them back on her. Then he joined in and helped sift through certain ones to put on her.

I should have recorded this it was very cute. I dont think shes losing her mind, she didnt seem mad. She's a very good new laying happy hen and he likes being with her while she in in the process of laying.

Why do my chickens and quail put twigs or little sticks, or even strands of hay or grass on their backs?

So I was searching this topic in the internets and landed on two threads here about this behavior. I have one chicken that does this, but I have noticed that some of my quail do this too! They put pieces of hay or whatever on their backs, yet none of these birds have ever gone broody, and likely will never go broody since it has been bred out of them over time.

I am posting the below information in this thread because it was brought back from the dead only a few months ago, as opposed to the other thread that is 3 years old. Anyway, here is what another member had to say, with a linked source, about why chickens do this.

Anyway, the link Chocobo provided is fine, but It does say word for word what this article says. (Not sure who is plagiarizing who here)
http://www.worldanimalfoundation.net/f/Chicken.pdf

Also, this sourced article says the same thing but is worded differently.
Quote: http://www.think-differently-about-sheep.com/sentience in farm animals poultry chickens.htm

To conclude, since none of my birds are the brooding type, I think it is safe to say that it is a leftover nest building instinct.

Anyway, I figured it was good to plug this into the site since there are only a couple of threads about it.

Back
Top Bottom