Hen raising chick question?

Silkie88

Chirping
7 Years
Mar 29, 2012
Canada
So im planing on letting one of my silkie hens hatch out chicks and was wondering how would one go about feeding the hen and chicks? Would it be ok to feed the hen chick starter with vitamins ect, or would it be better to feed them seperate food? Thank you!
smile.png

Chick starter is fine. Just don't let the little ones eat layer mash. The high calcium content damages their organs.

Hi... If they are going to be free ranging with the other birds, you may want to switch every one to grower feed and supplementing calcium. Saves you the serious trouble of trying to keep the chick feeders full, and the chicks aways from the layer feed. This is what I do, and its worked out very well. Just a thought...

We have the same situation. I feed my chicks starter now, however, everyone else can get to it too, and they do sometimes. (but it won't hurt them). I do plan to switch them onto grower here in a couple weeks. Then I just put the regular feeder (that has layer feed) up on an extra cynder block for now, and the babies can't reach it, so the others can still eat it as they please.
As for the hen, she is okay to eat whatever the babies are eating, and there really isn't anyway to keep her from eating it unless you seperate her from the babies.
Good luck

I use flock raiser and just have oyster shell seperate as an option for the flock. That way me chicks abd roosters are safe and the hens have calcium options. perina makes flock raiser in pellets and crumbels. I usually buy mine at Tractor supply or Runnings.

Back
Top Bottom